Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN - Troy Blackburn comments on Bobby Hart signing
(03-29-2019, 09:54 AM)Whatever Wrote: The scouts thing is the way it is because that's what Mike's dad thought was best.  That's more of a case of being stuck in the past than cheap.  It's a double edged sword, though.  We've had some great drafts under that system, but when you start having success and your staff gets picked over, it's a double blow.

A hidden issue is that Mike has spent a ton of money consolidating the family's ownership of the team.  Paul Brown actually only had a very small stake in the team when it was founded.  Over the years he bought out some of his partners to get a 51% majority, then stopped.  

I would say the stadium situation is another factor.  PBS is going to need big renovations to keep up in a few years and there's not going to be tax dollars for it.

That's all fair analysis.

Draft analysis isn't as easy as great drafting or poor drafting. Even bad front offices will occasionally draft some good players. It's consistency.

On a team, even bad teams...there are going to be some guys that put up decent stats. But, the challenge is getting enough talent to hit that tipping point to be one of the best teams in the league.

Out of the last 27 years, I'd say we had rosters that I felt were good enough to win in the playoffs 2-3 times. That is VERY low.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: ESPN - Troy Blackburn comments on Bobby Hart signing - THE PISTONS - 03-29-2019, 10:33 AM