Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shocked and dismayed with "gay" remarks on this site
(04-05-2019, 12:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not judging right or wrong, but certainly you guys see in the non-football forums where someone implies someone is gay or commits homosexual acts and uses it as a dig.  I wouldn't know how to search it, but it's all over the place.  I'll be honest, a fair amount of people from the left who I in no way believe are homophobic make these jokes, and I just kind of figured if they were doing it that it's OK.  I personally don't do it, or if I did it was rare but I don't think I have,  but not because I thought it was bad, just it's not my brand of humor.

Indeed, and this is primarily what I was referring to. I've noticed it many times over the months since joining. I guess I can understand how members may not even notice it in passing, however when I see it, it does tend to catch my attention and make me wish that people would not use being gay or acting gay as an convenient baseline from which to draw their digs or jabs, even if they are not homophobic it any way. 

I was asked to provide examples, but it has proven difficult because it's not easily searchable. I come across these statements while browsing and didn't make notes of every occasion in which it occurred. Nor did I have much of an issue until I noticed the frequency in which it happened and how it seemed to pass under the radars of most members.

(04-05-2019, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I just saw a post that said "Facebook can suck a bag of D's"

I think stuff like that goes unnoticed by 99% of the members, and I doubt the poster is homophobic in any way.  But it is not really appropriate.

I agree that most of the instances go completely unnoticed, and furthermore, I don't think the overwhelming majority of instances are in any way meant to be homophobic, yet if the person posting looked a little more carefully at their statement or joke, they may surely come to acknowledge that it was rather crass and unnecessary. They could have made their point or attempt at humor just as easily without the reference to someone or something being of gay nature.

I don't mean to come off as overly sensitive or easily offended, as I can assure the members here that is not the case. I was just concerned about the frequency in which it occurs and seemingly, lack of any real push back or commentary on the matter.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shocked and dismayed with "gay" remarks on this site - Lucidus - 04-05-2019, 03:41 PM