Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shocked and dismayed with "gay" remarks on this site
(04-16-2019, 11:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: That would be why I mentioned context that would be required to consider it homophobic.

You said "If you consider Facebook masculine", that isn't context to me but rather an interpretation of an inanimate thing that is subjective at best. I meant in terms of the use was in the course of a conversation that gave more clues to a context for the way the term was meant to be perceived, not a more macro view of Facebook as a whole. 

Again, nothing in the given context ,perception of Facebook or otherwise, makes that comment homophobic. If people set out to find deeper meaning in things they will. A person's current mental state while reading something can push them to find meaning that doesn't exist. I worry that a slippery slope like this gives ammunition to the "The world is too PC" crowd. Because there is a sex organ involved people find latitude to make wild interpretations, but you could have said "Facebook can eat S***" and it amounts to basically the same thing. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shocked and dismayed with "gay" remarks on this site - Au165 - 04-16-2019, 12:28 PM