Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 1st Week Of Practice Like O Line Changes
(04-14-2019, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Too bad the "new" approach to free agency was even worse than the old.

Hope all the other "new" stuff is better.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting A-list signings in FA, but I was expecting more than what we got.

Realistically, I was hoping for a Marvin in 03 kind of free agency period.  I'd even replace the word hoping with expecting.  Gotta figure a new coach with a new philosophy as touted in this very article might want different players to fit his differences in scheme.  That on top of some massively underperforming position groups made the possibility seem pretty likely.

Maybe the first year under Taylor is going to be an evaluation of in house talent before a second year of action as it relates to the roster.  That's what happened in Los Angeles under McVey, although they were still a bit more active in his first season as HC that the Bengals were this year.

Worst case scenario is that without Marvin, the organization is a rudderless ship in terms of talent evaluation.  Marvin was very good at building a roster despite his shortcomings in other areas.  Being as limited as he was by the family's approach to free agency, he always did a decent job in the draft and picking through the scraps when he had to.  I have no idea how good Taylor and his people are at it, but I guess we'll find out.  I know that the Brown family was fairly bad at it before Marvin arrived with a few exceptions.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals 1st Week Of Practice Like O Line Changes - samhain - 04-14-2019, 01:53 PM