Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I still have hope for Jordan Willis
(05-11-2019, 09:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am absolutely disappointed with his production thus far, Nate, but I am miles from calling him a 4 cyl, or some other lame insult.  

I think his being moved around didn't help him after Lawson was injured, and I wish they would just leave him at LDE and rotate with Dunlap.  Now that MJ is gone, maybe he will be more of a traditional RDE and Hubbard will rotate at LDE.  I'm not sure, but if he comes off the field on passing downs for Lawson, that will limit his chances for sacks. 

The idea of letting Dunlap play something ridiculous like 97% of the snaps makes no sense to me.  He will be more effective during games and down the stretch if he is able to be kept a bit more fresh.  

Although Dunlap and Geno have had solid sack production in the past, I have to wonder a bit about the defensive line coaching.  I can't stand watching MJ take a HUGE arc around to the QB, only to have the LT just ride him wide and create a huge rushing lane for the QB (or throwing lane).  It was so consistently bad...I kept thinking:  "He's setting up a swim move inside...it's third and eight...here it comes...." only to be disappointed to watch him basically take himself out of the play again.  Groan.  Lawson had a strong impact early....I'm hoping he will be back 100%.

Another thing to consider is the division we play in:  The AFC North.  The opposing QBs go:  Piggy, Baker, and Jackson.  Two of those three are very mobile and can scramble for a first down.  You will need those DEs to be very assignment sound or give up easy yardage to them.  I am also hoping for a more aggressive defensive scheme where they blitz more frequently (and creatively...like with a safety).  

This will be Willis's make or break year for his next contract.  I hope he finds his spot and is able to have a huge impact on this team.  

Awesome breakdown, happy we have a new D-line coach although his name escapes me for some reason?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why I still have hope for Jordan Willis - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-11-2019, 12:00 PM