Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If I told you once, I told you twice...
(05-07-2019, 09:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: Yea, they seem to be more critical of Mariota and Winston, but that's just this past offseason. And they weren't mocking qb's to them. Even with a new HC in Arians. They still got longer leashes then Dalton did.

Cutler I felt like lasted for years without all that much team success. And was always considered the better QB.

Props for going line for line with the qb's.

My only point really is we have a better chance of winning with Dalton still, then some of these media favorites (they wanted us to draft). Because exciting doesn't always translate to winning. So Bengals fans if anything should keep that in mind. It's been 3 years, and that's a long time, but for fans of some of these teams with  "Franchise QB's" 3 bad years out of the last 8 isn't so bad.

The truth is Dalton gets dinged for winning too fast. Spread those 5 playoff appearances out over 8 years and he's still trending up after entering his prime (with QB's playing until 40 now).

Winston and Mariota are still on rookie deals, so you don't hear a lot of teams looking to move on unless they get a Johnny Fartball kinda player.  Mariotta and Winston have both been cited as guys their franchises could pass on locking down, though.  

For Cutler, other than being a sourpuss of a guy, the big reason he disappointed was because he was in a high profile rivalry with the Packers and Aaron Rodgers.  Cutler was 2-11 against the Packers, which can be compared to Dalton vs the Steelers.  Yes, there is more that goes into a team vs team matchup, but it's not hard to see why people who don't watch the Bengals and their primary team can be so dismissive of Dalton.

I do see what you mean about spreading those Dalton playoff berths/losses across 8 years rather than the first 5, but still that's just moving stuff around.  I have a buddy who is a Bill fan, maybe I'll ask if he would have felt better if the Bills spread those 4 lost SB's over the span of 10+ years, ha.

At any rate, I don't have anything against Dalton, and I do think he's overly bashed by outsiders.  With that being said, I find some of our defenses of the guy to be a little odd, too.  We are so high on the genius of ZT at the moment, that if 2019 doesn't go very well on offense I could see the fanbase throwing Dalton under the bus first, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If I told you once, I told you twice... - Nately120 - 05-07-2019, 10:08 PM