Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike says Dalton should "re-establish himself" but FO needs to establish themselves
(05-12-2019, 01:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: Marvin is still above .500 if you factor in playoff record... barely.

It's a terrible comparison for a number of reasons.  However, the Bengals are managed like a business in that they need to turn a profit every year due to a lack of fall back income for the Brown family. That won't change unless they invest their football money in another business.  

If the NFL worked more like a traditional business, Mike would have moved the team to another market years ago.  The Bengals make the lowest amount of money per fan in the league.  The revenue sharing that everyone bemoans for allowing Mike to be complacent is the only thing keeping the team economically viable in the city of Cincinnati.

I don't look at record alone to determine success. You have to put a heavier weight on things like 28 years without a playoff win, or 0-7 under Marv. Those are pretty embarrassing achievements that hurt the reputation of the franchise. Whether we like it or not, it does hang over like a dark cloud. 

I totally agree that without revenue sharing, this team would probably be gone. If not in 1995, then whenever this lease is up. As it stands, I'm not too worried about the Bengals leaving. Mike makes great profit without the bigger expectations that would come in other cities. Imagine him going to New York and talking about how he's "not keen" on a practice facility, or running a tiny scouting/personnel department littered with family. Imagine sticking with guys like Paul Alexander for 20 years. Sticking with Marv after 0-7. 

None of that would fly in a big city that isn't used to that crap.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike says Dalton should "re-establish himself" but FO needs to establish... - Shake n Blake - 05-12-2019, 02:43 PM