Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike says Dalton should "re-establish himself" but FO needs to establish themselves
(05-12-2019, 02:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't look at record alone to determine success. You have to put a heavier weight on things like 28 years without a playoff win, or 0-7 under Marv. Those are pretty embarrassing achievements that hurt the reputation of the franchise. Whether we like it or not, it does hang over like a dark cloud. 

I totally agree that without revenue sharing, this team would probably be gone. If not in 1995, then whenever this lease is up. As it stands, I'm not too worried about the Bengals leaving. Mike makes great profit without the bigger expectations that would come in other cities. Imagine him going to New York and talking about how he's "not keen" on a practice facility, or running a tiny scouting/personnel department littered with family. Imagine sticking with guys like Paul Alexander for 20 years. Sticking with Marv after 0-7. 

None of that would fly in a big city that isn't used to that crap.

All those things are fair criticisms in the running of the franchise as a competitive sports team for sure.  As a business, not so much.

If the team moved, they would have that honeymoon period for a few years in most markets.  They would move a lot of tickets, a ton of merchandise, and make tons of money with corporate sponsorships.  That would mean more money to invest into the team and would potentially lead to an Art Modell type situation where he can win that title early and solidify the fan base.  As it stands, it's basically Mike and the fans in a game of don't blink.  Mike won't spend with the big boys because he needs to maintain profitability and he isn't getting enough income to do so and the fans won't spend until they they see that playoff win drought ended.  Both sides are working against each other.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike says Dalton should "re-establish himself" but FO needs to establish... - Whatever - 05-12-2019, 03:22 PM