Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet
(05-19-2019, 10:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I still don't know exactly what people mean by "holding players accountable".  I watch a lot of NFL games and pretty much every team sticks with their same starting line up every week.  I don't see any teams benching different players from week to week.

Some fans talk about better players setting on the bench, but I just don't see it.  Almost none of these back up go to other teams and become starters.  On the other hand I have seen players who started for the Bengals that fans claim would not be strting for any other team go to other teams and start.

Most of the claims that Marvin does not hold players accountable simply means "He is not playing the guys I like."

And then when Marvin does hold a player accountable half of ther fan base cries about it.

Yep. The whole 'Marvin doesn't hold players accountable narrative' is false. It's the old saying that when a team is losing the backup QB is the most popular guy in town. But, that doesn't mean the backups are better.

People often cite Ross as a guy that was falsely held accountable as a rookie...but I'd cite his play in Year 2 as an example that the coaching staff knew what they were doing. He likely wasn't ready to play Year 1.

The bottom line is coaches put on the field who they think will help the team win. It's simple, they want to win so they can keep their job.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet - THE PISTONS - 05-20-2019, 10:34 AM