Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet
(05-20-2019, 03:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross only had 210 yards receiving in Year 2 despite a lot of opportunity. I'd say that proved that he deserved the treatment he received from the staff as a rookie.

I'm going to disagree. I think a big reason he struggled as much as he did in year 2 is because they basically redshirted him his rookie year. That's valuable experience that he missed out on.

And look, maybe Ross struggled with the playbook, maybe he was making some poor decisions on the field, I don't know. I think a good coach does everything he can to put a player - especially a young one - in a position to succeed. You can't tell me they couldn't have given Ross more chances on screen passes (which they never seem to throw to him) or reverses (which they basically stopped calling for him after he fumbled once) to at least build some confidence for the guy. Call the guy's number on a designed play and boost that guy up, don't ignore him, especially when a quick screen play or slant would only help your struggling offensive line.

You see it all the time when you watch good QBs, and commentators mention it all the time - "Andrew Luck goes right back to receiver X after he dropped the last one to show him he still has faith in him". That's how you build chemistry between the two. With Ross, it seemed like it was always "Well, he messed up on the one play we're going to give him a shot, so screw him we'll just play shorthanded the rest of the way".

If I had to pick a player that I think will have the biggest turnaround next year, I'm going with Ross. He's going to benefit from having actual competent offensive minds on staff more than anyone, because even if he does have huge holes in his game they'll find a way to play to his strengths.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet - NKURyan - 05-20-2019, 06:51 PM