Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet
(05-22-2019, 11:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm fairly convinced that the meltdown in 2015 broke the team. Then, they lost a bunch of their key players in free agency over the next 2 years.

People are placing the lack of accountability on the wrong person. It's ownership/management who sets the team culture. Culture is dictated by the worst behavior you tolerate.

You have Burfict getting lots of personal fouls/suspensions and you keep him because he's a good player. And you have an 0-7 coach in the playoffs and you keep him and you expect to miraculously just start winning playoff games?

I feel like in some ways, they're content just not being 90's level bad. Maybe it's the media market? In NY or Pittsburgh or Boston, there would be intense pressure on the team to win playoff games and maybe that would push them to hiring a GM or spending more. Some teams look for creative ways to exceed the cap for instance. And restructure deals.

In Cincy, there seems to be very little pressure on the team from media...or even fans.

You tell me:

Quote:Brown: “Clearly, our attendance was off. The best single thing we can do to re-establish our attendance is to win on the field. All the other things are peripheral to that. We won’t be able to improve any of that until we get out there and have our chance to do so. But that is the key. I suppose there are other things. We have people that work on the other things and we try to do them right. You mentioned the 50th-anniversary celebration. We brought old-timers back on a weekly basis and I thought that went extremely well. Yet doing that is not going to fill the seats. They’re going to come when we win. In some ways, ours is a hard market. It is the fact that our people are judgmental about us. They are often easy to condemn when it doesn’t go to their standards. But we’re coming off a run of playoff years and they began to see that as the bare minimum. Well, maybe for them it is. For most people in this league, it’s a pretty solid achievement. I think only a couple of other teams have managed that during that same time period. But we didn’t go forward from that. We didn’t have success in the playoffs. And that was our undoing.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet - Hoofhearted - 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM