Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet
(05-22-2019, 07:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: John Ross did not know the playbook and gave up on routes.  Price just made a rookie mistake.  Thanks for proving my point.  You complain about him not holding players accountable, and you also complain about him holding players accountable.  No matter what he does you will complain.

I'll make you a sig bet that whatever those coaches said about their QBs I can find Marvin saying the same thing about Dalton.  It is a complete lie to claim that Marvin never said Dalton has to get better and be more consistent.  You just hear what you want to hear.

John Ross wasn't benched after giving up on a route, he was benched for dropping the ball on a reverse play that he actually gained decent yardage on - he made a rookie mistake. One guy is held responsible, one guy gets let off the hook, and you want to excuse it like Marvin holds everyone to the same standard. Ross may have been bad, but guess what - Price was pretty damn bad last year too.

As a teacher, if I held my students to separate sets of standards on a whim I wouldn't have a job for very long. As a faculty we don't talk about holding some students accountable while letting others go, we talk about holding ALL students accountable to the SAME standards.  I gave you a plain-as-day example of two first round draft picks being treated completely differently, and you want to pretend that Marvin held everyone equally accountable. Whatever.

You want to look up some quotes? OK. Let's look at how accountable Marvin held Andy after the worst game of his career against the Browns in 2014, a game in which the Bengals got pantsed on primetime while fighting for a postseason birth, when Andy's in the midst of a 4 game stretch where he's struggling mightily AND has more INTs than TDs for the year - he'd been pretty damn bad. "He will break out of this night", "He'll come out of this and be fine", "No (when asked if he considered benching him)", "We do things the way we're supposed to do it most of the time". Wow, he really grilled him there. No "we really need Andy to play up to what he's capable of", no "we can't do what we want to do with Andy playing this way", no "Andy really needs to make better decisions with the football". No wonder Andy's performance stayed pretty consistent with what it had been the rest of the season - why put pressure on him to do any better? But sure, go ahead and find a smattering of quotes to make yourself feel better.

Want to look at quotes from after the Bengals/Steelers playoff implosion? On Vontaze Burfict: "Calls went different ways", "They deemed that to be a hit to the head I guess, and others not". On Jeremy Hill: "No [I haven't talked to him after the game]". On Adam Jones: "I'm not going to single out our guys". Wow, way to hold those guys accountable after the biggest and most painful implosion in the last two decades of Bengals history. I can't imagine why anyone thinks Marvin doesn't hold guys accountable. Are you kidding?

(Every quote I included comes straight from the postgame quotes on Bengals.com)

"You just hear what you want to hear"? Dude, please. You're covering your eyes and ears as much as anybody. You can be a huge fan of Andy Dalton (which I've proved on here countless times, like when I got crucified a few weeks back for even suggesting he's been better than Palmer was) and still not be blind to the fact that Marvin babied him his whole career here. I even like Marvin and think he's a pretty good coach, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to his faults either. That's called holding him accountable. But hey, what's next - want to talk about how Marvin's really good at clock management now?

Anyways, I'm done with this, because it's all a moot point. Your boy Marvin, bastion of accountability, isn't here any more so I don't really care enough to keep caring about him. I'm sure we'll all look forward to the start of the season when you start waxing poetic about the good ol' days with Marvin if the Bengals should struggle.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet - NKURyan - 05-22-2019, 09:57 PM