Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting take from Hobspin on AFCN
(06-10-2019, 07:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you strictly analyze by rosters, the Browns are loaded with young talent on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.  Do I think they have a better roster than Cincy?   My simple answer is no.

The Bengals were rolling on offense last year before Eifert's injury and were still headed to the playoffs before losing Dalton and Green.  The offensive line has been fortified in two key spots and I believe Billy Price will be a huge upgrade over his rookie season.  The depth at RB, TE, and WR is there.  The offense, with a more aggressive, less-predictable scheme, should be better than last year's unit.  It might also help the defense by having better ball control and time of possession with the emphasis on improving the rushing attack.  And what have I always said about Dalton?  When giving adequate time (and I don't mean the ridiculous time afforded Piggy and Brady due to their lines being able to hold all day without drawing a flag), he is an absolute surgeon.  He carves teams up.  I think the added measure of misdirection, motion, and moving Dalton's pocket will be HUGE for him.  He has done extremely well despite being a sitting duck in the last few years.  

The real question is on the defense:  We are all concerned about the LB corps....but what else?  The defensive line will have Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, Willis, and Wynn all rotating at the end positions and coming in fresh and hungry.  We have competition for Billings and Glasgow with Wren and Geno should only improve with better, fresher talent around him.  

The secondary is the absolute strength of our team.  They have depth and roster flexibility should anyone be injured.  Bates has Pro Bowl potential.  More pass rush is going to yield more turnover opportunities for these guys.  

The LB corps has a lot of question marks, yes, but they were significantly better last year once Austin was gone and they returned to more man coverage on the back end.  I think we will start with Vigil and Pratt as the nickel package.  Brown may stay regulated to the base LB package.  

If this is the biggest question mark on the entire roster, I will take it.  I view our LB corps as I would an offensive line that has a QB that holds the ball too long and ends up getting sacked.  There has to be a realistic pass rush and coverage to allow them to do their job as well.  From what I am hearing about Lou's different fronts and schemes, they are going to be more aggressive on defense as well.  This is what ZT wants and has said as much.  

I don't think anyone can possibly realize how much this may do to get more out of the players.  Cleveland was playing with less talent, but a ton more PASSION than the Bengals and other teams a year ago.  Hell, they might have lost, but they gave pitt some awesome games.  It is all about getting the most out of your guys and our guys looked so defeated at times...as though they knew they had no shot with the ridiculous conservative crap they were rolling out there.  I think ZT will have his guys flying around and playing with energy.  I don't care if you have a roster of the 85 Bears on defense, and the Greatest Show on Turf Rams on offense...if you aren't getting the most out of your players you will not be competitive.  

The Bengals are certainly capable of winning the division, and I am more excited than I have been in a long time to watch them.

Agreed.  To me, what it all boils down to, is the competency of the new staff.  I've maintained for years that the coaching staff was holding the team back, and a detriment in critical situations.  So, if this staff is indeed good, then I see no reason why this team can't contend.  That simple.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interesting take from Hobspin on AFCN - Wyche'sWarrior - 06-10-2019, 10:11 AM