Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals reportedly sign FA OL John Jerry
(06-19-2019, 06:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It was also the fact that the Bengals spent two premium picks on OT in 2015 and Paul Alexander had had pretty good success with OL drafted within the first two rounds. Unfortunately, Alexander's techniques had become outdated and he thought the uber-athletic Ogbuehi and Fisher would eventually come into form after a few years but they didn't.

I do find it interesting that I haven't seen as much vitriol for Price after Year 1 as we saw with Ogbuehi.
Ogbuehi only played 73 snaps his rookie year so his 2016 year was really his rookie year, and he graded out at 60.4 that year (his highest during his Bengals tenure).
Price started 10 games this past year and put up a grade of 49.4. There were a few games where he didn't allow a sack, hit, or hurry though, so maybe that's why there was more optimism for Price over Ogbuehi.

Hopefully Price actually establishes himself this year and doesn't follow the same path as Ogbuehi, Fisher, or even Bodine, but he didn't set a good overall example his rookie year. Hopkins was a more consistent C.

I think it's a number of different factors with Og and Price.  More was expected out of Og because he was drafted to replace an all time Bengals great in Whitworth.  Price was drafted into a spot where he really can't be much worse than what we have trotted out there for going on a decade.  Og has also been a bit of a whipping boy for fans that are upset with the FO for not resigning Whit.  The fact that he sucked justified those fans' opinion that they should have thrown monster money at Whit so he would retire as a Bengal.  Conversely, many of us have been screaming for them to draft a C in 1 or 2 for a long time and really want Price to be good to justify that position.  Plus, Price played at Ohio State, and right or wrong, players that came from a college that's close to their NFL team will always get extra leash from the fans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals reportedly sign FA OL John Jerry - Whatever - 06-20-2019, 12:57 PM