Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals rush offense under Marvin Lewis
(06-20-2019, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was not clear.  I meant that the Bengals O-line has been ranked fairly high in that stat over the years, not just 2018. 

Some more "too much free time" stats.

Over Marvin's 16 year tenure the Bengals average ranking in yards per carry is 21.6* and they finished in the top half of the league only 5 times.  Over that same period their average ranking in "adjusted line yards" is 16.1 and they finished in the top half of the league 8 times including #1 in 2015.  

The '15 season is a good example of how the stat works.  That year we ranked 23rd in the league in actual average per carry, but were dead last in runs over 40 yards (0) and 31st in runs over 20 yards (4).  While we were not breaking off long runs we were great at grinding out yards and ranked 3rd in lowest percentage of runs stuffed for no gain.  That is how our O-line ended up ranked #1 in "adjusted line yards".

Much of Marvin's tenure featured backs like Benson and Green-Ellis who did not break off a lot of long runs.  There have only been three seasons when our rank in "average per carry" was higher than our "adjusted line average".

* The Bengals actual rank for that total period is 29th, but I have to use "average ranking" because I do not have access to the actual ranking in "adjusted line yards" for that total period.   
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals rush offense under Marvin Lewis - fredtoast - 06-20-2019, 03:18 PM