Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals rush offense under Marvin Lewis
(06-23-2019, 01:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: At some point instead of hitting the hole, he started juking in the backfield. Not sure what caused him to do this other than trying to showboat.

That is very puzzling, as Hill and Gio both started out as very decisive runners, hit the holes quickly, and make a juke or move at the second level to break off a medium gainer. Then, all of a sudden, they turn to dancing in the backfield?  I have difficulty in believing that they both went away from what made them very successful backs, completely of their own volition.  I'm going to suggest that Paul Alexander had a hand in things, as he was the Rushing Game Coordinator.

My theory is that PA would ask them to hesitate, and allow the hole to develop, before making a cut and hitting it;  Rather than just jetting to the called hole for the play. Had to be a part of PA's "catch and redirect" style of run blocking.  As you saw last year, Mixon had no problem hitting holes with authority last season.  Heck, even Gio had a couple of nice, medium gainers that we hadn't seen in a while.

In today's NFL, there's just no room for "picking a hole", you have to hit it and take what's there, unless they're running some version of a stretch play and the back sees an opportunity to cut up before reaching the edge.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals rush offense under Marvin Lewis - SunsetBengal - 06-23-2019, 02:42 PM