Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN predicts veterans that could be cut
And for the Bengals, they suggest that Clint Boling could be the one to get released. They cited health issues and touched on Glenn moving to LG.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26941405/veterans-cut-the-nfl-32-teams

Quote:It's unclear what's going on with Boling, who has worked off to the side during OTAs and minicamp, but with Cordy Glenn's move to left guard, and the signing of John Miller to play right guard, Boling has suddenly become expendable. If first-round pick Jonah Williams is hurt for any length of time and Glenn moves back to tackle, that could keep Boling in the starting lineup, but for now, it wouldn't be a total surprise if the team decided to eventually part ways with him. -- Katherine Terrell
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I had mentioned this at one point and of course many thought I was out of my mind.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 08:38 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I had mentioned this at one point and of course many thought I was out of my mind.

You, along with a few others have mentioned the possibility that Boling could be a cut candidate.  That's mainly why I felt like this worth making a thread post of it.  I don't think that anyone has reason to be dissatisfied with Clint Boling's dedication and contributions to the Bengals, over the course of his career.  He's been as good and reliable as anyone could have ever expected him to be.  However, it might just be time to acknowledge that perhaps the game has taken it's toll on #65's body.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So what it Clint had some type of offseason surgery? And he is off to the side because he is healing?
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 09:20 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So what it Clint had some type of offseason surgery? And he is off to the side because he is healing?

If that turns out to be the case, then terrific!  I just think it also important to also prepare for the possibility that he might not return as a starter on this team.  

Personally, I would not criticize him, if this is indeed time for him to hang 'em up.  He's played with heart and courage his entire career.  There's also something to be said for a player to retire with pride, rather than holding on until he's completely washed up.  I'd like to think that he still wants to be able to run and play with his kids, and be active for the rest of his life.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Anybody want to do a sig bet if Boling is cut or not?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Boling will be cut. He’s always been kinda overrated. But if rather cut Glenn.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 10:40 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Boling will be cut.  He’s always been kinda overrated.   But if rather cut Glenn.

Not sure where you get "overrated", if we're judging by what he's paid, he's actually been an overachiever.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 10:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure where you get "overrated", if we're judging by what he's paid, he's actually been an overachiever.

I think a lot of us point to him as being their best offensive lineman over the last 3 years (not a high bar at all) and somehow interpret that as "Clint Boling is the best guard in the NFL".

Is he in irreplaceable player? No. Would I feel all that comfortable if they cut their best OL over the last few years from a completely unproven positional group right now? Not really. Which isn't to say that they couldn't cut him and be perfectly ok - Williams may be awesome, Price should improve, Glenn may fit right in at guard, etc - it's just a lot more risky IMO.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 08:38 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I had mentioned this at one point and of course many thought I was out of my mind.

Our beat reporter obviously getting her info from this site. Bad news is she reports poorly 90% of the time.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 11:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Our beat reporter obviously getting her info from this site. Bad news is she reports poorly 90% of the time.

Sounds about right lol.
Reply/Quote
Barring the possibility he is injured in such a way he can't come back, when I read people suggesting Boling is cut and we keep people like Westerman and Redmond...…. My eyes roll....
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 01:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Barring the possibility he is injured in such a way he can't come back, when I read people suggesting Boling is cut and we keep people like Westerman and Redmond...…. My eyes roll....

I agree.  I also feel that players like Michael Jordan and John Brown were drafted and acquired specifically to replace those two on the roster.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I mentioned he'd be the sleeper cut/trade candidate right after the draft. I also stated only one of Glenn or Boling will be on the roster opening day, although that was before the Williams injury (whatever that is). The reality is they want to clear the older linemen out because lines develop as units. If you can get a young cheap line together than can stay together long term you can build a dominant unit. Add in the fact we will probably pay Green and Boyd a decent chunk of change and it makes sense to clear one of the two decently sized contracts.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 01:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree.  I also feel that players like Michael Jordan and John Brown were drafted and acquired specifically to replace those two on the roster.

Jordan was drafted to replace Boling Next Year, not this year.
Jordan still needs to get his hands and feet right, we might see him out there late in games or later in the season.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 01:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Barring the possibility he is injured in such a way he can't come back, when I read people suggesting Boling is cut and we keep people like Westerman and Redmond...…. My eyes roll....

All 3 of Boling, Westerman, and Redmond are in the last year of their contracts. The only reasons to keep Westerman or Redmond over Boling are age and lower cap hit if kept over Boling. Boling is the best player out of those three. Honestly, if Williams is hurt by the time the season starts, you gotta keep Boling as OT insurance since they only have Hart and Glenn as the other legitimate OT options.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 02:31 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Jordan was drafted to replace Boling Next Year, not this year.
Jordan still needs to get his hands and feet right, we might see him out there late in games or later in the season.

Thus, the move of Cordy Glenn to LG, who is on the final year of his contract.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 03:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thus, the move of Cordy Glenn to LG, who is on the final year of his contract.

Cordy is signed for next year as well.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 03:42 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Cordy is signed for next year as well.

You are correct, my mistake.  What I meant to say is that he can be released for very low cost to the team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
No one here knows if Boling will be released or not. The only reason they would release him would be if he was unable to play due to injury. His age or contract has nothing to do with it. He is not that old (30) and he doesn't make too much money (less than $5 million). In fact he is a bargain compared to what a lot of guys are getting in free agency this year.
Reply/Quote