Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson and the ever hopeful stories of...
(06-21-2019, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't read many of them, but if you listen to local broadcasts of the games you will pieces of a lot of these personal interest stories.  There are only about 12 minutes of action in a 3 hour game, so there is a lot of time to fill.

In the case of Hobson he's got all week, season sometimes to think about these stories..
Some people can barely spit out their last names when talking, others could rattle on endlessly with great stories. Writing is a different dynamic with different skills than saying things and we all process the two differently as well. 
I grew up reading the great Hal McCoy and sometimes even credit him with teaching me to read (jokingly) and didn't appreciate writing skills until later in life. On the other end of the spectrum (and I'm really referring to baseball more than football) the Reds had the great Waite Hoyte broadcasting games who could make people look forward to rain delays during games..He was more known for rain delays than the games themselves. Reds fans were known to pray for rain during the seasons. Again, two different skill sets. McCoy could write great, but his voice sounded like a combination wood chipper and engine throwing rods. Hoyte was an old rummy who buried himself in a bottle before finally getting sober late in life...not exactly the sound you'd want to listen to, but he pulled it off brilliantly behind the microphone. Hobson, on the other hand is difficult to listen to at best, but he can write things about peoples lives better than most.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson and the ever hopeful stories of... - grampahol - 06-23-2019, 04:53 AM