Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dennard elite against the run in 2018
(07-02-2019, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Dre had more than 1 good year.

2.  This is just another example of you making up your own definition of "mediocre" and "subpar".  PFFs #52 ranking was "above average", but you just make up your own definition to fit your narrative.

1 Good year, 2 Mediocre years. Out of 9 years as a Bengal.

52nd ranking while being the 6th best run defender means he is atrocious against the pass.

(07-02-2019, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not true at all.  It is yards per "target" not yards per "completion".  Slot receivers usually cover short passes that are more likely to be completed. 

Wes Welker, arguably the greatest slot receiver of all time, playing with the best QB of all time: career 7.8 yards per target.
TJ Houshmandzadeh: 7.4 YPT

AJ Green: 8.7 YPT
Julio Jones: 9.8 YPT
Randy Moss: 8.8 YPT
Terrell Owens: 8.5 YPT
Calvin Johnson: 8.9 YPT
Chad Johnson: 8.1 YPT

The higher pass completion is vastly offset by a lack of 20+ and 40+ yard plays. It can't make up for it in the end when a player plays all or the majority of the snaps in the slot. There's too many tacklers around and you're being relied upon to secure first downs rather than explosive plays.

(07-02-2019, 06:21 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: While he definitely hasn't lived up to his draft placement, 52nd out of what is essentially most likely 96ish starting cbs(since most teams seem to run 3cb sets most often) isnt too bad. Itd probably be better to see where he is ranked among slot CBs though, as that's where he seems to play most often. I dont have access to pff so I have no clue as to how he ranks among other slot CBs.

His willingness to play the run also leads me to think he could move to safety if shawn William's or bates gets injured. He could turn out to be better suited for that. I know demarious randall was a bad cb for the packers but is a pretty solid safety for the browns.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

52nd was overall, while Fred's thread was about him being 6th in run defense. If you're 52nd overall, but 6th in run defense, that means you were terrible in coverage. All the more lending to my point that he should have been a safety. 

(07-02-2019, 07:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he is so bad why is he the 44th highest paid CB in the league?

I am not claiming that he is a star, but with most teams playing 3 CBs in their base defense 44th in the league is pretty good.  Even if you only count 2 starters per team that makes him better than 20 other starters.

"He's paid more than rookies, so he MUST be good. That's why Dennard is "better" William Jackson and 19 other starters, because he makes more." - Fred

[Image: 1pi6nv.jpg]

This argument didn't work when Nate Livings got overpaid and quickly cut and out of the league. It didn't work when Dre Kirkpatrick got overpaid. It's not going to work now. I don't know why you keep falling back on this one... nobody has ever bought it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dennard elite against the run in 2018 - TheLeonardLeap - 07-02-2019, 07:52 PM