Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross struggled with consistency during spring practices
(07-06-2019, 11:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals coaches were desperate for anything to give their offense a boost.  If there was any scheme that would have made Ross a good player they would have tried it.

There is not magical scheme that makes a guy with a 30% catch percentage turn out "huge plays".

Ross played pretty much 100% of the offensive snaps after Green was injured.  He was not benched when he messed up.  I have no idea what you mean by comparing his playing time to Core.  Ross had more targets than Core and Erickson COMBINED.

Ross was going to be great as long as he got on the field and then he DID get on the field and he would have been great were it not for Marvin/Lazor/Driskell, so the excuses rolleth onward.  I still can't believe the guy could end a meaningless NFL game in a dead season with no more than 1-3 receptions.  He didn't even have Green and Boyd "getting in his way" and he's only good for a single catch...huzzha.  That was his time to show that he can at least put up some gaudy stats in a losing affair, but alas, he cannot.  

Again, I can't see the future but when I see stuff like "If Ross can produce, if Ross can get consistent" or "If Eifert can stay healthy" I just hope genius ZT isn't counting on either guy too much.

(07-06-2019, 02:46 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree with the so-called "package of plays" beyond just simply having him run vertical routes.  One thing I like that ZT has said is he wants his team to be the fastest team on the field on Sundays and the freshest team on the field on Sundays.  That will involve Ross and keeping a thoroughbred fresh is a good idea.  Even Paul Brown was rumored to have told Issac Curtis is just sit out and stretch if something was nagging him at all.  He realized that without his speed, he wouldn't be near the weapon.  He wasn't wasting him on blocking drills and the like, just to be a "football player".  

I guess that's worth a shot.  I mean, it's beyond disappointing to see a top 10 pick have to be used in such a limited and gimmicky manner, but that ship has sailed so we may as well try to get something out of it.  The idea of using a using a player like Ross to be super specific and fast sounds like a senile-Al Davis strategy more than a Paul Brown one, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ross struggled with consistency during spring practices - Nately120 - 07-06-2019, 02:50 PM