Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross struggled with consistency during spring practices
(07-06-2019, 10:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Nice points!

I know this has been covered a lot, but the small scouting Dept has to play some factor. When you don't have a lot of scouts, you have to rely on scouting reports and on TV footage. There are just some things you can't pickup in that scenario.

re: Jonah Williams - I wonder if we even scouted him thinking he was going higher? With a small scouting staff, you just can't heavily scout everyone.

I know some people say that size of scouting dept doesn't matter, but the Steelers and Patriots have double and triple our size...and they have great results. And here the Bengals are with yet another 1st Round pick out for the season. Injuries happen...but the sheer amount we have had is just crazy. 

They met with Williams at the Combine and also went to his Pro Day, so I highly doubt they didn't do their due diligence on him.  Every team has it's own big board and guys fall all the time.  

Besides which, if they are missing medical issues, that's more of an issue with the medical staff than the scouting department.  

If there was a preexisting issue, it's likely they knew and made the pick anyway.  Due to the rookie salary structure, it's much more appealing to teams to take a kid that may need a medical red shirt year.  Jeffrey Simmons isn't going to play this year with a torn ACL and still went in the top 20.  If Williams is a franchise LT as advertised, then missing his rookie year isn't going to mean much 7-8 years from now.  The draft is chess, not checkers.  My guess is that they thought he could play through it this year, then get it fixed in the off season without missing time.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ross struggled with consistency during spring practices - Whatever - 07-07-2019, 03:59 PM