Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL 100-your first memory of football
I'm old, so I remember before I was in grade school in 1960, my Dad watching Paul Browns Cleveland Browns on floor model black & white TV of that era. We got CBS-7 and NBC-2. There was a special dial for numbers over 9 or 10. That dial could sometimes get ABC and why ABC was USA's #3 channel. Browns came on CBS, the #1 Network back then.

So I move ahead to 1967 and on Reds game on radio they announced Cincinnati was getting an AFL team and the owner and coach would be Paul Brown. My dad got excited and kept saying Paul Brown, Paul Brown and then said, " If Paul Brown is putting a team in Cincinnati, We Are Going ". He did and we had season tickets at Nippert and then Riverfront.

So the 2 are connected. 1960 at 5 years old seeing my dad on Sunday watch Paul Brown Browns, and in 1967 my dad fired up to see Paul Browns Bengals. Anybody else, and my dad may not have got fired up about Cincy AFL Team, but this was Hall Of Fame Paul Brown of Ohio State and Cleveland Brown Championships, that I never saw, but my Dad had in 1940's and 1950's.

The really first good Bengals play I saw in 1968 was Paul Robinson start to the right on a sweep past the tackles. He got to the sideline area fast and cut up field for like a 70 yard touchdown just like Jim Brown or Leroy Kelly in Cleveland. He ended up AFL leading rusher and Rookie Of The Year. I think Leroy Kelly in Cleveland was NFL leading rusher the same year. Paul Robinson was a big reason Bengals won NFL AFC North in 1970. Bengals Fans need to know how good The Cactus Comet was. He got traded for Charlie Joiner who later got traded for Coy Bacon, all Top Players. The 68 team wasn't very good, but Paul Robinson was.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL 100-your first memory of football - kevin - 07-05-2019, 09:09 PM