Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rolando Mcclain
With our current linebacker situation being very suspect should we take a flier on Rolando Mcclain? IMO i dont see why not...maybe atleast work him out...we have always been about the comeback story here in cinci and i know we have a whole new mentality and regime but bringing him in i dont see what it could hurt? no high risk but could be a high reward. Your thoughts?
Reply/Quote
No thanks. Washed up thug. Not any better than what we have. Probably not as good even. And not the style of lb we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 01:38 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: No thanks.  Washed up thug.  Not any better than what we have.  Probably not as good even.  And not the style of lb we need.

lol at your response...good thing our front office at the time didnt say the same thing about pac man who gave us great years here.  Im not gonna pound the table for this guy however the sad thing is, is that a 3 year removed former first round talent linebacker could come in and if in shape, be better than any linebacker on our roster.  thats how atrocious our current linebacker situation is.  there is no reason in my opinion to not bring him in for atleast a work out let alone be a camp body and see what hes got.  its very low risk if at all and could be a solid reward.  i have to strongly disagree with you.  i think he is atleast worth a work out.   
Reply/Quote
Rolando McClain was an average linebacker that struggled as the NFL went more pass heavy... combine that with his off field issues it's a hard pass.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 12:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Rolando McClain was an average linebacker that struggled as the NFL went more pass heavy... combine that with his off field issues it's a hard pass.

id take him right now over any linebacker on our roster except pratt and maybe brown.  Vigil is garbage jefferson is ******** and the rest along with the first two i just mentioned arent worth mentioning.  No way we shouldnt bring him in for a work out.  Ill stand by that.  we have by far the worst linebackers in the league right now, how and why we wouldnt atleast bring him in for a workout is beyond me.  im not saying hes the answer but to hard pass and just say no to even a work out is poor due-diligence or lack there of.  its gonna be a long year of watching teams like pitt baltimore and cleveland run all day against us unless the linebacker group is addressed or all of sudden someone becomes a stud to play with pratt and brown...yikes
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 01:43 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: id take him right now over any linebacker on our roster except pratt and maybe brown.  Vigil is garbage jefferson is ******** and the rest along with the first two i just mentioned arent worth mentioning.  No way we shouldnt bring him in for a work out.  Ill stand by that.  we have by far the worst linebackers in the league right now, how and why we wouldnt atleast bring him in for a workout is beyond me.  im not saying hes the answer but to hard pass and just say no to even a work out is poor due-diligence or lack there of.  its gonna be a long year of watching teams like pitt baltimore and cleveland run all day against us unless the linebacker group is addressed or all of sudden someone becomes a stud to play with pratt and brown...yikes

The Bengals play in nickel most of the time. They don't need a 3rd stud to play with Pratt and Brown. They need Brown to play like he did in BUF and they need Pratt to play to his draft stock. Vigil is fine as the third LB, it's when he's the best LB on the field (like last year) that it's a problem.

Also, please do not refer to Jefferson with the language you used. You know better than that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
he still has to be reinstated by the NFL as he was indefinitely suspended.

hasn't played in 3 years... If he was reinstated by camp time id be okay with giving him a tryout. on a min deal.

But its doubtful hes available. maybe he should shoot for next year.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 02:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals play in nickel most of the time. They don't need a 3rd stud to play with Pratt and Brown. They need Brown to play like he did in BUF and they need Pratt to play to his draft stock. Vigil is fine as the third LB, it's when he's the best LB on the field (like last year) that it's a problem.

Also, please do not refer to Jefferson with the language you used. You know better than that.

and if brown doesnt get back to form we are left with a rookie from the third round and Vagina, whoops sorry Vigil...i again say yikes.  going into the season in our division with brown pratt and vigil is still the worst linebacker group in the league.  how and why ur so against bringing in a former 1st round talent atleast for just a work out with our current linebacker situation is stand up comedy to me.

in regards to language and jefferson the definition of the word i used is "less advanced than usual in mental development".... and in regards to jefferson and his poor play to this point is the fact that he cant pick up the defense and he is in no mans land without a clue what to do when on the field...I.E his mental development of the defense is less advanced than others/usual.  IMHO that would be by definition the word i used for jefferson.  Lets not be a soft fan base too...cant we just leave that to our football team guy?
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 10:01 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: he still has to be reinstated by the NFL as he was indefinitely suspended.

hasn't played in 3 years... If he was reinstated by camp time id be okay with giving him a tryout. on a min deal.

But its doubtful hes available.  maybe he should shoot for next year.

ahhh a sensible response!!!  its refreshing ya know.  I could'nt agree more.  although i'm hoping he can come in a great shape still have his football feet and just be a solid pro this year for us.  that's all we would be asking for.  I think he could provide solid depth and fight for a good portion of snaps if he can check all the boxes here prior to a contract.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 01:07 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: and if brown doesnt get back to form we are left with a rookie from the third round and Vagina, whoops sorry Vigil...i again say yikes.  going into the season in our division with brown pratt and vigil is still the worst linebacker group in the league.  how and why ur so against bringing in a former 1st round talent atleast for just a work out with our current linebacker situation is stand up comedy to me.

in regards to language and jefferson the definition of the word i used is "less advanced than usual in mental development".... and in regards to jefferson and his poor play to this point is the fact that he cant pick up the defense and he is in no mans land without a clue what to do when on the field...I.E his mental development of the defense is less advanced than others/usual.  IMHO that would be by definition the word i used for jefferson.  Lets not be a soft fan base too...cant we just leave that to our football team guy?

How is what I said stating that I'm "so against" McClain? I didn't actually say anything about McClain. I made a comment about the usage of the Bengals' previous LBs. You're reaching with that "so against" statement.

But since you want me to focus specifically on him, McClain hasn't played in the league since 2015. Chances are even if he's in good physical shape, he'll definitely have some rust.
I'm fine with bringing him in for a workout but it's hard to ultimately determine his impact just from a workout when he's been out of the game that long and not playing since he had surgery in 2016.
Plus, the Cowboys still own his rights, so he'd have to be traded (unless I missed the Cowboys releasing his rights?) and therefore cost draft picks.

Even if we go back to his time in the NFL, he wasn't THAT good:
Rolando McClain 2015 (most recent season) - 80 tackles, 3 PD, 1 INT
Nick Vigil 2018 - 84 tackles, 3 PD, 0 INT

In fact, McClain only had one season where he had 100 tackles, and that was 8 years ago.

I'd be fine giving him a shot to replace one of the backup players like Evans or Jefferson but to act like he'd come in and be the savior of this LB corps or even vastly improve the LBs is more wishful thinking rather than facts.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 12:34 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: lol at your response...good thing our front office at the time didnt say the same thing about pac man who gave us great years here.  Im not gonna pound the table for this guy however the sad thing is, is that a 3 year removed former first round talent linebacker could come in and if in shape, be better than any linebacker on our roster.  thats how atrocious our current linebacker situation is.  there is no reason in my opinion to not bring him in for atleast a work out let alone be a camp body and see what hes got.  its very low risk if at all and could be a solid reward.  i have to strongly disagree with you.  i think he is atleast worth a work out.   

Funny. You asked for thoughts to your topic and I gave you mine. There have been numerous reasons given in this thread about McLain and he not being a fit here or even coming here.

Given Pac-Mans numerous off field incidents and the change in the type of player Taylor looks to bring here, I hope ebenezer is more reticent about giving those types of players contracts here. And McLain was never as good on the field as Pac-Man was. So lol and strongly disagree all you want. I’ll stand by my comment

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 04:00 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Funny.  You asked for thoughts to your topic and I gave you mine.  There have been numerous reasons given in this thread about McLain and he not being a fit here or even coming here.

Given Pac-Mans numerous off field incidents and the change in the type of player Taylor looks to bring here, I hope ebenezer is more reticent about giving those types of players contracts here.  And McLain was never as good on the field as Pac-Man was.  So lol and strongly disagree all you want.  I’ll stand by my comment

Really makes you wonder whether OP wanted others' input or not, doesn't it? The vibe seems to be, "You're out of your mind if you don't agree with me!" and therefore not really caring about others' thoughts unless they align.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 01:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Really makes you wonder whether OP wanted others' input or not, doesn't it? The vibe seems to be, "You're out of your mind if you don't agree with me!" and therefore not really caring about others' thoughts unless they align.

I think with our current linebacker situation being the worst in the nfl by a large margin providing no real depth i think your out of ur mind to completely dismiss even a workout of a former top 10 pick.  Pacman had 1 good year in dallas before we took him in.  His off field issues along with an injury was also an issue for pacman prior to coming here.  IMO only difference between Mclain and pac is the age and the absence.  Rolando had a pretty damn good season when he had the 100 tackles.  pac came here and played really well.  why not see if we can get the same thing from mcclain who plays a position of desperate need here in cinci?  I dont think rolando will come here and be our saving grace at all but he could provide good depth and possibly play for a large portion of snaps if he plays well.  again it wont take much to stick out and play better than our current starters.  Ill say it agian ur out of ur mind with our current linebacker situation to not atleast workout a former top 10 pick whos trying to make a comeback.  bottom line.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2019, 11:27 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: I think with our current linebacker situation being the worst in the nfl by a large margin providing no real depth i think your out of ur mind to completely dismiss even a workout of a former top 10 pick.  Pacman had 1 good year in dallas before we took him in.  His off field issues along with an injury was also an issue for pacman prior to coming here.  IMO only difference between Mclain and pac is the age and the absence.  Rolando had a pretty damn good season when he had the 100 tackles.  pac came here and played really well.  why not see if we can get the same thing from mcclain who plays a position of desperate need here in cinci?  I dont think rolando will come here and be our saving grace at all but he could provide good depth and possibly play for a large portion of snaps if he plays well.  again it wont take much to stick out and play better than our current starters.  Ill say it agian ur out of ur mind with our current linebacker situation to not atleast workout a former top 10 pick whos trying to make a comeback.  bottom line.

Unless and until he’s reinstated ur outta ur mind for continuing to beat the drum for a situation that can’t even happen. Bottom line

Reply/Quote
Don't the Cowboys still own the rights to McClain? Even is McClain were cleared and reinstated by the league, Dallas would have to waive him, or see what kind of deal they could get for him.

With that said, if he could be here for training camp, he'd be great insurance in case Brown or Vigil were injured, or Jordan Evans fails to carry the load, or Pratt is slow to develop, etc.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 04:00 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Funny.  You asked for thoughts to your topic and I gave you mine.  There have been numerous reasons given in this thread about McLain and he not being a fit here or even coming here.

Given Pac-Mans numerous off field incidents and the change in the type of player Taylor looks to bring here, I hope ebenezer is more reticent about giving those types of players contracts here.  And McLain was never as good on the field as Pac-Man was.  So lol and strongly disagree all you want.  I’ll stand by my comment

Pac-Man was a great signing with no downsides whatsoever... as long as you ignore the fact he helped give away our first playoff win in decades by acting like the moron everybody outside of Cincinnati thought he was.
Reply/Quote

Note::::: There will be other linebackers available or come available and I am sure our staff are already watching,and keeping an eye on players that are very good ,will fit us and are interested in coming here.I trust this staff to fill that void when they can and when they should.I believe we have an excellent defensive staff that can and will make this linebacker core the best.I believe all of us are going to be impressed by their play.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 01:35 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Pac-Man was a great signing with no downsides whatsoever... as long as you ignore the fact he helped give away our first playoff win in decades by acting like the moron everybody outside of Cincinnati thought he was.

porter should not have pulled his hair.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 02:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: porter should not have pulled his hair.

Agree.  I don't often advocate for bench clearing brawls in sports, but I still think one was warranted that night.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 02:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: porter should not have pulled his hair.

No argument here, but Adam's just gotta wait about two minutes and then after the clock runs out and the Bengals win he can walk right over and punch Porter right in his stupid mouth for all I care.
Reply/Quote