Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.?
so exhibit A.
the Bengals lose LT Jonah Williams for the yr.
Clint Boling retires.
the guy that Williams replaced Cordy Glenn is back at LT.

exhibit B
LT Trent Williams wants out of Washington.

LT was a weakness going into the 2019.season hence drafting Williams.
now at this moment LG will be a may the best man win kinda thing.
the thing is...if Glenn gets sidelined the offense might get sunk no matter the scheme.

if this franchise was willing to replace Glenn with
potential anchor for 10 years.....
why arent they at least looking at Trent Williams to hold it down till next year?
I guess it makes too much sense to acquire Trent and move Glenn back to RG.
one thing I hate about this front office.
its so afraid to go outside its comfort level in order to be a
contending team.
Reply/Quote
The starting line itself is scary enough. The thought of playing backups, which will always happen in the course of a season, is truly terrifying.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm sure there are many reasons. The first is probably that Washington may not want to get rid of him. He's a good OT in a league that doesn't have many of them right now. Plus they likely will have a rookie QB under center to protect. If they don't have to get rid of him, why would they?
Reply/Quote
He graded out as the #21 Tackle last year so he'd be out best lineman by far.

His cap hit is almost $15 million this year and next year. There's your reason.

That said...management likely knows we're not 1 player away. Or 2 players. Or 3 players.

Our entire offensive line is questionable. We're questionable at LB.
Reply/Quote
The price tag would be high. Washington would probably want Glenn and a decent draft pick. They'd need to get a LT out of the deal.

And, would Williams be enough to help the team over the hump this year?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Over 30, hasn't played a full season since 2015, and would probably cost a 2nd Rd pick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 10:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: so exhibit A.
the Bengals lose LT Jonah Williams for the yr.
Clint Boling retires.
the guy that Williams replaced Cordy Glenn is back at LT.

exhibit B
LT Trent Williams wants out of Washington.

LT was a weakness going into the 2019.season hence drafting Williams.
now at this moment LG will be a may the best man win kinda thing.
the thing is...if Glenn gets sidelined the offense might get sunk no matter the scheme.

if this franchise was willing to replace Glenn with
potential anchor for 10 years.....
why arent they at least looking at Trent Williams to hold it down till next year?
I guess it makes too much sense to acquire Trent and move Glenn back to RG.
one thing I hate about this front office.
its so afraid to go outside its comfort level in order to be a
contending team.

Williams turns 31 this week.  He's not an anchor for 10 years.  He's a stopgap.  There's also rumors that he wants a new contract, which isn't good when we've got Boyd and AJ to lock up.

The other thing is does Williams even want to come here?  Trading for a malcontent that doesn't want to play for you isn't a smart move.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 12:11 AM)Whatever Wrote: Williams turns 31 this week.  He's not an anchor for 10 years.  He's a stopgap.  There's also rumors that he wants a new contract, which isn't good when we've got Boyd and AJ to lock up.

The other thing is does Williams even want to come here?  Trading for a malcontent that doesn't want to play for you isn't a smart move.

I said drafting Williams as in Jonah. hes the anchor.not Trent.
Reply/Quote
His inability to play an entire season lately is a huge deterrent. He shoved a helmet-less Richard Sherman after a game while keeping his own helmet on. He has recently lashed out at his current team's FO because their medical staff didn't detect something. He may be a good player when he's on the field, but I'd question breaking the bank or giving up draft capital for him.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 01:57 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: His inability to play an entire season lately is a huge deterrent. He shoved a helmet-less Richard Sherman after a game while keeping his own helmet on. He has recently lashed out at his current team's FO because their medical staff didn't detect something. He may be a good player when he's on the field, but I'd question breaking the bank or giving up draft capital for him.

Doesn’t sound like the type of personality ZT wants in the locker room.

Reply/Quote
He is a better version of Cordy Glenn. A once top tackle who has been derailed by injuries on a largish contract. He would be an upgrade, but you'll have to give up something of value for him but also the rumor is he'd like a new contract.

I'm going to keep saying it in every thread. As much as people think the sky is falling, our line will be better this year than last. Funny enough, our "horribly bad" O line last year didn't prevent our offense from being really good...the injuries did.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 11:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He graded out as the #21 Tackle last year so he'd be out best lineman by far.

His cap hit is almost $15 million this year and next year. There's your reason.

That said...management likely knows we're not 1 player away. Or 2 players. Or 3 players.

Our entire offensive line is questionable. We're questionable at LB.

besides the point of cap hit being 15$ mil he wants a bigger and better deal...

if we traded for him and didn't up his contract he might just sit... 
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 08:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: He is a better version of Cordy Glenn. A once top tackle who has been derailed by injuries on a largish contract. He would be an upgrade, but you'll have to give up something of value for him but also the rumor is he'd like a new contract.

I'm going to keep saying it in every thread. As much as people think the sky is falling, our line will be better this year than last. Funny enough, our "horribly bad" O line last year didn't prevent our offense from being really good...the injuries did.

I agree, I believe the overall scheme on O, the game plan, the play calling, the way the utilize players to our advantage will totally change, and for the good ! A lot of our recent Oline issues will go away without any personnel changes.

And besides there will be vet cuts during training camp and I'm sure they'll be watching.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 10:20 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: besides the point of cap hit being 15$ mil he wants a bigger and better deal...

if we traded for him and didn't up his contract he might just sit... 

ZT will found someone that wants to be here and The Trent guy is not the answer unless he will take less money as he is not a young guy anymore and he is not someone that would fit in here.Something will pop in next week.Training camp is almost here. ThumbsUp :andy:
Reply/Quote
The Bengals desperately another OT or two, preferably solid starter caliber or better.
The only way to get a solid starter or better at this point is through trade.
The Bengals would have to give up valuable draft capital to acquire such a player as well as a big cap hit depending on the player.
Trent Williams costs ~$14 mill per year for the next two years and likely would require a first round or MAYBE second round pick.
Trent Williams will be 32 by the end of his contract.
The Bengals prefer to pay big money/years to players who are in their 20's, not 30's.

So basically, if the team thinks they can compete this year or the next for a championship, Williams would be worth picking up.
However, I think the team views the coaching change as a reset and wants to give them young guys to groom and build around.
I don't think they want to give a player $14+ mill a year to be a stopgap and any outside player who is 30+ years old will always be viewed as a stopgap with this organization.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Im pretty sure were gonna go with what we already have on the roster.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 08:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: He is a better version of Cordy Glenn. A once top tackle who has been derailed by injuries on a largish contract. He would be an upgrade, but you'll have to give up something of value for him but also the rumor is he'd like a new contract.

You may be right, but I'm already bracing myself for the "Tom Brady couldn't even succeed behind this o-line!" statements to start flying.

(07-16-2019, 11:12 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree, I believe the overall scheme on O, the game plan, the play calling, the way the utilize players to our advantage will totally change, and for the good ! A lot of our recent Oline issues will go away without any personnel changes.

And besides there will be vet cuts during training camp and I'm sure they'll be watching.

I hope you are right, but this is also tantamount to claiming that ZT is going to make chicken salad out of chicken crapola.  He might, but if our o-line stinks in 2019 are we really going to get on ZT's case for not scheming around it effectively?
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 12:29 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I said drafting Williams as in Jonah. hes the anchor.not Trent.

If we're talking essentially using Trent Williams just for this year until Jonah comes back, that's a poor investment of $14 mill this year.
I'd rather save that money to use on player(s) next year.
I only want Trent Williams if he's viewed as the franchise LT over the length of Jonah's rookie contract (5 years).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Yes...unless Hart and/or Glenn goes down.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 01:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If we're talking essentially using Trent Williams just for this year until Jonah comes back, that's a poor investment of $14 mill this year.
I'd rather save that money to use on player(s) next year.
I only want Trent Williams if he's viewed as the franchise LT over the length of Jonah's rookie contract (5 years).

I wouldn't say Trent Williams is the answer, but it's July and we are already talking about next year, in a sense.  Also, what roster moves can we make next year?  AJ and/or Boyd get extended and that might it.

(07-16-2019, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes...unless Hart and/or Glenn goes down.

Seeing as we are down 2 linemen before training camp even starts...
Reply/Quote