Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what point are you OK with a total rebuild
New coach gives us hope for the coming year but if we get poor results are we better off playing the same cards in 2020 or should they cut their losses and try to build a whole new team? Even if they win eight games they are stuck drafting from a point that the QBs are gone. When the trade deadline comes and we are floundering I believe trading our aging players for draft picks will make the rebuild easier. The short time results would definitely be disheartening but I believe it would start us off in the new decade in a much better position. I know my views are not what is popular but it may be necessary to cut bait and rebuild.
Reply/Quote
I don't care what they do......just do what it takes to get Lawrence in 2021. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think it depends on how Dalton and Green perform this year. If they start showing age or injured again, might be time to start getting younger. If they can still play at a high level for the next three years, but Taylor struggles as a HC, that could be the time, too.
Reply/Quote
Build around Dolegalaga!
Reply/Quote
I'm willing to give this year and MAYBE 2020 before doing a total rebuild.
If the team can get to 8-8 or above this year, I think it makes sense to try to go all-in in 2020.
I don't think this core group of veterans (Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap) has more than a couple years left in them before they start to decline.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Right now we have a core of solid players, but they are all near the point where they will start declining.

Some people act like it is easy to re-build and replace a solid core of good players, but that is not true. So I say we go as far as we can with what we have. If I was sure we could draft another Geno Atkins or Carlos Dunlap then of course I would say trade them away and rebuild, but there are no guarantees.
Reply/Quote
Do we trust Tobin with a rebuild?

The guy who's drafted 1 probowler since 2013 (or whenever we draft Eifert).....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I signed up for a total rebuild the moment Marvin hit the door. I think we should build around guys like Mixon, Boyd, etc, and look towards building a new roster with new leaders emerging among the players. I don’t like the odds of Marvin’s aging core reaching new heights and becoming anything different than what they have already shown.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 01:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Do we trust Tobin with a rebuild?

The guy who's drafted 1 probowler since 2013 (or whenever we draft Eifert).....

The Pro-Bowl is a joke that tries to sell tickets through name recognition. After 2017 there were a bunch of First Team All-Pros that didnt make the Pro-Bowl. Andrew Whitworth, Kevid Byard, Cam Heyward, and Harrison Smith off the top of my head I believe there were a few more.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The Biggest Question after 2019 is what to do with Andy. Even if Dalton gets the team to the playoffs and wins a game or even two he would eat up a good chunk of the salary cap... and if he doesnt get to the playoffs itll be his 4th year in a row.

Next years draft looks like a decent crop of QBs and the Bengals have quite a few young talented guys that are coming up on their extensions in 2020 and 2021.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
With the cap and the draft there is know reason for a true rebuild like in Baseball or Basketball. Look in 2011 we were supposed to read last and we ended up going to 5 straight playoffs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right now we have a core of solid players, but they are all near the point where they will start declining.  

Some people act like it is easy to re-build and replace a solid core of good players, but that is not true.  So I say we go as far as we can with what we have.  If I was sure we could draft another Geno Atkins or Carlos Dunlap then of course I would say trade them away and rebuild, but there are no guarantees.

This.  The age creep is easier to gauge and compensate for than draft picks and free agents.  And we will not be adequately compensated for the players we trade.

Build on our core until it's obvious that they are not able to play at a high level.  Then start your rebuild.
Reply/Quote
Every season in many ways is a rebuild. There are 53 players. Teams always draft between 7 and 12-14 players plus undrafted college guys plus FA's. They don't all make the team, but many usually do so it becomes a game of attrition every season. Out with the old, in with the new. No team can hang onto players forever...not even the Bengals. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 02:14 PM)HuDey Wrote: I don’t like the odds of Marvin’s aging core reaching new heights and becoming anything different than what they have already show
Just curious but what do you think the odds are of drafting a DT better than Geno or a WR better than Green?
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 11:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't care what they do......just do what it takes to get Lawrence in 2021. :andy:

we needed to hire hue Jackson for that.

but there should really ever be a need for a total rebuild...…

who the core players are can change. as some age out others will become the new core
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 03:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we needed to hire hue Jackson for that.

but there should really ever be a need for a total rebuild...…  

who the core players are can change.  as some age out others will become the new core

True.....but I think they need to get creative, and make that happen.  That kid looks like the real deal........

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 11:23 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I don't care what they do......just do what it takes to get Lawrence in 2021. :andy:

Tank next year please.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 03:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious but what do you think the odds are of drafting a DT better than Geno or a WR better than Green?

Probably better than building a contender while they are still here.
Reply/Quote
After the Superbowl parade
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Being that a new staff was hired, I'd have been semi-okay with it this year.

I get them not jumping the gun on it and giving Taylor a shot with the established vets. Perhaps he can do something with them before the real declines start setting in. This probably would have had a better chance of being a believable effort if the team did a better job of adding talent around them in FA to supplement the guys here, but alas Mike Brown owns this team.

If they don't go over 500 this season, the rebuild should be full steam ahead. If they pick top 5 and can build a team around a new quarterback, then there's no reason to waste any more time after this year.
Reply/Quote