Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month of August Games Thread
(08-08-2019, 10:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Votto is a total mystery.  Apparently he is healthy, but it looks like he is now nothing more than a .260 hitter.  I don't think his physical skills have dropped off that much, but I also don't see him getting a lot better this year.

115 games is not just a "slump".  It is what it is for the season.

And I don't think this team can make the playoffs with a .260 no-power hitter at 1B.

Fred I don't know if you have ever played golf, but the smallest change in the swing can screw up a hell of a lot.  I think the new hitting coach tweaked Votto's swing based on metrics and video simulations.  When I went to the games this year, Votto had this launch pre-batting drill that simply looked odd for him.  I also noticed he choked up on his bat.  

You may be correct in the implication that Votto is showing signs of decline because it has been back-to-back years.  However, I am a sport psychologist and work with baseball players.  I have come across some "head cases" and Votto may have some psychological issues as well.  I know he suffered from PTSD symptoms after the death of his father and had bouts of "dizziness"  and even called 9-1-1 at one point. 

So it may be both, physical decline due to an aging player and mental issues that pop up over the last two years.  It may be the new hitting coach.  In either case, I agree with you...the Reds need him.  The Reds need him to get back his mojo and help carry this team.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Reds Month of August Games Thread - kevin - 08-01-2019, 07:57 AM
RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - psychdoctor - 08-08-2019, 07:04 PM