Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month of August Games Thread
Ervin's weak arm in CF makes him the worst center fielder I have ever seen. He can't even make routine throws back to the infield, kids in Little League are better. That was a case where Bell should have moved him from CF to LF and moved Van Meter to CF after those 1st inning errors. The guy is no center fielder, worst I've ever seen. No arm, a huge defensive weakness when put in CF. Modern day may not like this, but Billy Martin of 1970's Yankees would have been all over Ervin and either moved him from CF to LF, or just yanked him out of game in 1st inning for such awful defense below Little League standards.

I'm not understanding Bells line-ups a lot in 2019. Reds Fans say it's called platooning, read a book on it. I think Reds should read a book on it. All season if a player got hot at the plate, Bell would then bench him and put in a cold player on the bench or up from minors. Now they can throw all the modern million and one computer stats out there, and I still say benching a hot player is stupid. I say if a guy is giving you the big hits, play him until he cools off. Early in season Dietrich was hot and after having a big game Bell would bench him. Then Senzel got hot and while hot Bell benched him. Then Van Meter got hot and Bell benched him. Ervin got hot and Bell benched him. Iglesias was great with the bat and the glove and out of nowhere Bell benched him. I'm not understanding the Bell style of Bench The Hot Players. If that is modern day platooning, it is stupid.

As Reds swept by Pirates, the Fat Lady broke lose as many decided to stop holding her back. In her viking helmet she started singing as loud as she can and is still singing hours later. Forget play-offs, the chances of this team winning 81 games is now unlikely. The team will have another losing season. So the Fat Lady was not being held back for play-offs, but in hopes Reds could finish .500 with this Great Pitching Staff. Now we see the pitching staff not all that great, they will not win 81 games. Reds may win 70 games, but nothing close to 81. Sweep by Pirates has The Fat Lady doing an all Sunday Night finale.

Suarez did hit homer #35 still in August. The guy will probably hit 40, unless Bell and Reds look at some computer stats and decide to bench him also.

In all fairness to Bell, the Fat Lady sang end of season for Reds in May every season under Price. The Reds do have one of the best pitching coaches in baseball that came over from Brewers. The pitching was better in 2019 than in last 5 Reds seasons. As for hitting, not so good, especially first months of the season. Votto had an awful year as highest paid Red.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Reds Month of August Games Thread - kevin - 08-01-2019, 07:57 AM
RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - kevin - 08-25-2019, 11:38 PM