Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
3 players stock up and stock down from KC game
(08-12-2019, 07:35 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Just an FYI, I didn't follow the team closely last season due to being too busy and partly due to the team/organization as a whole. Going into the preseason, I did not have a good pulse on the team but after catching up I'm slightly optimistic that the team will outperform expectations. On one hand, I still don't know what the offense will be like - looking at the Rams it will be similar to that of a Urban Meyer offense pre-Haskins with RPO and some other pro concepts. On the other, the offensive line is still a question mark even with one game done (which they did not look too bad). As others have said, the new offense should mask some of the o-line issues in the pass game. I don't know how to describe the defensive formations from last night other than there seemed to be a lot of nickle/4-3 with a safety lined up in the box or near the los. The biggest thing that popped out to me was the free safety playing almost angel safety - I don't know if this is the norm or if it works (it didn't in Cleveland, but Bates is different than Peppers).

Stock Up:
Andrew Billings - got more pass rush than expected. Was not 100% baller, but if he can play up he will fill a much needed role on the DL. Weight is still an issue, but it is for all bigger DT.
Germaine Pratt - a little fidgety, but his pass coverage is superior already to any linebacker on the team. I expect his run game will mature as he gets more experience. All in all a quiet game, but I still have very high expectations and think he will have a better career than Mack Wilson (even though it would be nice to have both) and what he showed probably fits what the defense will be playing better than other lb on the team.
Bobby Hart - expectations were so low already that I think his stock could only go up (and it did seem like he was doing well).

Stock Down:
Trayveon Williams - only putting him here because I wanted to see him have a bigger game but more than excited to see what he can do with more touches/experience.
Nick Vigil/Other LB - I don't know whats going on. From the film I saw from last year, my takeaway was that the LB were constantly misaligned which I chalked up to the DC. But that seems like a continuation to this year. Difference between Pratt and others was that Pratt made a decision and went whereas other LB seemed lost in zone/allowed plays on the outside. A total mess/need more communication.
Shawn Williams - A lot of issues. Didn't seem prepared for the multiple looks in the flats.

The problem with preseason is that there isn't enough snaps/lack of true tests to figure what is going on (also, starters not playing). The Chiefs played with their true first team offense for a quarter while the Bengals were sitting starters. It's also entirely possible certain players were playing out of position or the coaches were experimenting with playcalls (same for other team). I personally think this team is better than advertised and will surprise on offense. The big question is whether the defense will improve from their issues from last year which I am a little hesitant to say they will considering the alignment issues to unconventional formations that a lot of the top offenses are running. Is this an IQ thing, organization thing, etc. I don't know.

First, welcome to the best NFL Forum in the league.  Second, I think if you take away the drop punts that led to 14 points by the Chiefs, the game, at least by the score, would have given a different impression regarding the overall performance.  Third, I am worried regarding the backer and safety positions.  Williams is more of in-the-box safety and I am not certain the "new" defensive schemes fit the personnel.  Finally, although Pratt may show promise, not many fans are comfortable regarding the Bengals linebacker position talent as a group.  The fact that the coaching staff is still experimenting with O-Line configurations and personnel has me worried.  Dalton has to make that throw to Malone and similar throws during the regular season in the future for this team to have a chance.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 3 players stock up and stock down from KC game - psychdoctor - 08-12-2019, 07:57 PM