Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Westerman is considering retirement
(08-17-2019, 01:41 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: This whole leaving the team just fuels my suspicion that there was something wrong upstairs.   A lifelong football player and college graduate can't grasp his assignments even though he proved he was physically capable for the job?   Now leaving the team like this when his number looked like it was about to be called?   I think the man is mentally ill--not stupid crazy like Incognito--but legit mental illness like bipolar or major depression.  

There are a hidden number of players in the NFL that may have symptoms of Bipolar Mood Disorder, Anxiety (GAD), Borderline Personality, Narcissistic Personality, Panic Disorders and other disorders.  But then again, Mental illness does not discriminate based on one's career.

Nevertheless, a player losing desire to play professional sports is not uncommon. Motivation to play sports varies based upon the skill level of athletes and this motivation is tested during transitions from High School to College. A star, highly talented athlete, as an example, may lose desire to play sports.  Similarly  this occurs during the transition from collegiate sports to Pros.  Elite athletes have a burning coal buried deep into his or her soul that cannot be quenched which propels them to strive on against odds of playing, injuries, and loss of personal relationships.  Sometimes the sport does not match an athletes preference or preconceived ideals and the daily grind is not worth the effort. On the other hand, sometimes the athlete becomes the sport in that the sport defines his or her identity.  Losing the opportunity to play, means losing a significant part of his or her identity.  This explains why athletes like Brett Favre have trouble retiring.   

I would not speculate that Westerman has a mental illness without additional information.  There is no evidence that Westerman has struggled with mental illness to my knowledge.  I say this only because it broadens the stigma associated with mental illness to players and people in general who quit or fail at his or her job.  Many people with mental illness are great athletes, leaders, artist, performing artist, and can live a relatively full life and have productive careers.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Westerman is considering retirement - psychdoctor - 08-18-2019, 02:56 AM