Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holding Calls
Uzomah got called for holding on this play. If this is holding then there is holding on every play. This is a prime example of an over-zealous official just looking to throw a flag. Just let the players play the damn game and call the obvious penalties. Shit gets old year after year.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1162156303730585602?s=19
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 07:02 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Uzomah got called for holding on this play. If this is holding then there is holding on every play. This is a prime example of an over-zealous official just looking to throw a flag. Just let the players play the damn game and call the obvious penalties. Shit gets old year after year.

His hands were outside the lines of the armpit, which is holding. Look at the shoulder pads as Uzomah had ahold of the pad. I'm not sure why he blocked him like that, TBH. If he keeps his hands inside of the line man's pads there is no call.

Ticky tack? A tad. Is it holding by definition, absolutely. Hands outside of the line of the armpit is holding at any level of football.
Reply/Quote
I don't know. Yes, his hand placement was a little wide, but I saw no clenching of the fingers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This is the whole "could call holding every play" argument. I just posted in another thread, that crew last night set the record for most penalties called in an NFL season last year. His crew handed out almost 30 more penalties last season than any other crew in the NFL. Kid wants to be the show like his old man always did
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 07:02 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Uzomah got called for holding on this play. If this is holding then there is holding on every play. This is a prime example of an over-zealous official just looking to throw a flag. Just let the players play the damn game and call the obvious penalties. Shit gets old year after year.

I watched the game later, but was listening on Sirius XM and could only find the local (Washington) broadcast.   It was funny hearing those guys even say "That isn't holding" and later "I don't see any pass interference" on calls against the Bengals.  
Reply/Quote
Uzomah didnt do a whole lot to solidify his spot on the depth chart yesterday.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I've seen worse holding calls. That one was iffy, but, not necessarily horrible.
Reply/Quote
I thought the calls were as bad as I've seen in awhile. Anyone see that "facemask" on Evans on that kick (or punt) return? Comically bad. It wasn't even a facemask so they had to call it something else to explain the penalty.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:15 AM)jj22 Wrote: I thought the calls were as bad as I've seen in awhile. Anyone see that "facemask" on Evans on that kick (or punt) return? Comically bad. It wasn't even a facemask so they had to call it something else to explain the penalty.

"helmet opening," was the term.

I've never heard that before in my life.

Like when Peko got, "Personal Foul, #94, Defense; player was making calls at the line to try and disrupt the center."

Not too mad about last night, as its preseason and whatever, but the Peko one would've brought that game (Arizona, 2015) into OT and we could've won it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know.  Yes, his hand placement was a little wide, but I saw no clenching of the fingers.

Force all the OL to wear mittens. You can't grab anything while wearing mittens! That will make sure they can't get called for holding!  Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:50 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Uzomah didnt do a whole lot to solidify his spot on the depth chart yesterday.

his place in the depth chart is secure. 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:10 AM)pally Wrote: his place in the depth chart is secure. 

As a starter im not buying it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 07:52 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: As a starter im not buying it.

And who exactly is going to supplant him? Eifert will never be an every down player. Sample one day may be but he is nor there yet. Uzomah had a bad couple of series, but he, at the moment, is still the best overall TE we have

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
See? Yous guys is missing the big picture when the refs decide to throw preseason games in favor of the Deadskins since everyone and their uncles gamble billions, maybe trillions on preseason games. Why, had the Bengals won that game it may have upset the whole time space continuum thing putting us all back into the dark ages and bubonic plague and all manner of assorted nastiness.  Nervous
YIKES! WE DID WIN!  Time to buy your Gwyneth Paltrow Man-goop bubonic plague prevention kits before it's too late!  Shocked  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 09:11 AM)pally Wrote: And who exactly is going to supplant him?  Eifert will never be an every down player.  Sample one day may be but he is nor there yet.  Uzomah had a bad couple of series, but he, at the moment, is still the best overall TE we have

Not saying he will supass Uzo this year, but Schreck is showing up this year....
Reply/Quote
Taylor had this to say about it on the mothership...

"Our guys need to be disciplined. Last year in Preseason Week 1, there were 40 offensive holding calls. This year in Preseason Week 1, there were 120 offensive holding calls around the league. "
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 09:46 AM)Whatever Wrote: Taylor had this to say about it on the mothership...

"Our guys need to be disciplined. Last year in Preseason Week 1, there were 40 offensive holding calls. This year in Preseason Week 1, there were 120 offensive holding calls around the league. "

It's interesting some of the advanced analytics guys have been looking at the idea of running on 1st down recently and some crazy number of holding penalties get called on 1st down runs, more so than any other running attempt even when adjusted for frequency. This is causing some analytical coaches to consider using quick passing plays/screens as their 1st down run play over the traditional running play. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 07:52 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: As a starter im not buying it.
Well, since you're in charge of the roster, you can build it any way you want.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 09:46 AM)Whatever Wrote: Taylor had this to say about it on the mothership...

League's adjustment to ridiculous passing numbers last year.

Look for sack numbers to explode and passer ratings to drop.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 09:11 AM)pally Wrote: And who exactly is going to supplant him?  Eifert will never be an every down player.  Sample one day may be but he is nor there yet.  Uzomah had a bad couple of series, but he, at the moment, is still the best overall TE we have

He was pretty good last year and he gutted it out and played hurt when there was nobody left to replace him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote