Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A trend carrying over from last year.....
I know it's only preseason.
And this offense Is still a work In progress.
But is it too hard to ask for a completion
Over 40.yds to a WR?
Not one WR had a catch over 50 yds last season.
And through 2 preseason games I have yet to
See a 50 yd plus catch by a WR.
Yet last night I seen a 55 yd strike to Davis.
A week before Kelce had a 36 yd catch on the opening play.
Yeah I know Green/Ross haven't played.
Im going to think more about this but this trend is bothering me.
Why can't this offense vertically cannot attack defenses?
Reply/Quote
You typically need to have an offensive line capable of giving the wr’s time to get downfield for 50 yard bombs. Considering we didn’t upgrade the line in the offseason (except Williams who is hurt) and our best lineman from last year retired, I’d expect that trend to continue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I know it's only preseason.
Over 40.yds to a WR?

Those days are long gone. a 20 yrd catch is the new 40 yrd catch.
Reply/Quote

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You will see a lot this year with the play action to Green, Ross, even Boyd. Any 3 of them will get downfield. Only question is can the right side of the line give enough time without a sack or holding penalty....TBD. But ZTs offense is based off the Rams which is based off play action. That equates to deep shots. Hell Dalton had one week 1 if he doesn’t underthrow it.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't expect to see too many of those passes in general.

Look at the Rams offense last year. Only 3 games was Goff's Yard Per Attempt average over 10.

More importantly if you compare yards per attempt for Goff and Dalton it is only 1 yard of difference, 8.36 to 7.2

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
From what my eyeballs have told me, the tackles have been doing OK on plays that they don't commit a penalty.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that the interior o-line does not look good.  Jerry and Miller look like backups on super bowl or deep playoff type of teams.  Jerry can pass protect at a good level, but doesn't seem to be effective as a run blocker so far.  Miller looks OK on most snaps but has some lapses.  Price has had some lapses at center, but looks more than capable of playing guard in a situation where he can just react and doesn't have to try to process a ton of information right before the snap. If they like Hopkins as a starter, now may be the time to try Price at guard.

All in all, I don't see a play-action oriented type of offense winning more than 7 games this year.  The 2018 Rams offense required a Whit type of dude at LT in order to work - a guy who was more than willing to run block and could pass protect at a high level.  Outside of Hart and Price, the starting unit hasn't shown great run blocking potential.  Jerry and Glenn can pass block if they are healthy.  The unit as a whole is suspect as far as timing and penalties are concerned.  This team may just rue the day that they let Frank Pollack walk out the door.  I'll reserve judgement and strong words until we have seen more of Turner, but we're off to a slow start so far.  3 people willing to walk away from millions of dollars in order to retire as soon as Turner walks in the building?  Again, I'm willing to reserve strong words and strong judgement, but it doesn't bode well.

Long story short - fix the line and I believe that you can fix this offense. Easier said than done.
Reply/Quote
Yep.....offensive line is where it begins and ends. Give Andy ample time in the pocket and maybe we see more deep balls. Im fine with picking apart defenses with dink and dunk to control TOP. With Joe at RB we oughtta be focused on that anyway.
[Image: proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2...a3b09aaec9]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I know it's only preseason.
Over 40.yds to a WR?

AD missed a long throw in week one to Malone, may have been 45 yards if completed, but could have been 80 if they were at 20 yard line and he puts it out front for him. 

Also, OL needs to hold up so hopefully pass blocking will improve so coaches have confidence to go deep. But understand, deep passes 9over 50 yards) are completed less than 20% of the time versus 65% short and medium range. A miss on a long pass puts a team behind in down and distance and a team with a weak OL then in deep crap to move the chains.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The completion percentages for passes over 40 yds is not high for any QB. I rather see the dink and dunk to control time of possession to keep the putrid defense off the field. However the receivers need to go to the first down when they run the route and not pull up short. Someone also mentioned the impact of Mixon on the dink and dunk and I agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
It is also a throw you don’t see very often in preseason

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote