Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing A.J.
Based on what you’ve seen thus far,who would you say is pretty much a lock to,temporarily,of course,replace A.J.Green??? I think Auden Tate should start in his place.Tate has really showed up in camp and in preaseason.As opposed to last year,I think he looks much more confident.He seems to be more aggressive,and even looks a little bulkier.He just looks more complete than last year.He’s shown to be very consistent thus far.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 06:59 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Based on what you’ve seen thus far,who would you say is pretty much a lock to,temporarily,of course,replace A.J.Green??? I think Auden Tate should start in his place.Tate has really showed up in camp and in preaseason.As opposed to last year,I think he looks much more confident.He seems to be more aggressive,and even looks a little bulkier.He just looks more complete than last year.He’s shown to be very consistent thus far.
I would think Boyd would take AJ's spot and then the battle would be to take Boyd's spot.  

Tate has certainly been taking advantage of his opportunity.  And then there's Willis and Boyd.  One of them might very well make the team and both have showed they belong. 

Malone keeps taking a step forward followed by a step back, so it's kind of hard to gauge where he stands.  You can't teach the size and speed he has but does he offer enough in the way of consistency?  You can't have receivers catching every other pass, no matter how big or fast they might be.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 06:59 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Based on what you’ve seen thus far,who would you say is pretty much a lock to,temporarily,of course,replace A.J.Green??? I think Auden Tate should start in his place.Tate has really showed up in camp and in preaseason.As opposed to last year,I think he looks much more confident.He seems to be more aggressive,and even looks a little bulkier.He just looks more complete than last year.He’s shown to be very consistent thus far.

I think there's a decent chance Tate makes the team. But at this point in his career he's probably more of a special package 3rd down, red zone receiver. Could he move up down the road ? why not
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hmm, I don't think that we can simply "replace" AJ Green with anyone on our current roster, that would take drafting another gifted phenom. Now, if you're speaking more to how do the Bengals cover his absence, then that takes a significant change in how the offense operates.

I do feel like there are enough competent receivers to allow the Bengals to have ample weapons. However, it will likely entail having a healthy and engaged John Ross and Tyler Eifert to accomplish this feat. Boyd, Tate and Erickson have shown that they can amply take up slack and move the sticks, with Boyd already having shown some big play potential.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

If Ross doesn't get his arse in gear I can see Tate replacing him as an endzone-only sort of threat who catches 1 pass per game for a TD.
Reply/Quote
Hell, if the season started tomorrow I’d give the job to Damion Willis. Two more games for guys to make their case though.

Reply/Quote
AJs production might be supplamented by Boyd
But Boyds production might be a combo of guys.
Reply/Quote
Didn't I read Cody core caught 100% of his targets in the last game?

Mellow
Reply/Quote
I'd still be shocked if it wasn't Boyd/Ross starting at 1 and 2 in Seattle.
Reply/Quote
Malone
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hell, if the season started tomorrow I’d give the job to Damion Willis. Two more games for guys to make their case though.

I think Willis has a decent shot to make the team as well.
Reply/Quote

Whichever two receivers show the best consistency in the pre-season should be starting along with Boyd.

Reply/Quote
I assume it will depend on the coverage look.

If you want to create layers and dictate to a a single high safety to pick his poison, then you need Ross' speed opposite the TE.

If you have a two deep zone, then it doesn't matter as much. You can run shallow and deep crosses.

My concern with Ross at X is whether he can get off the line if pressed.
Reply/Quote
Out of the current players on the roster, Damion Willis actually has the closest skill set to AJ. He has near-identical size, he has good speed (sub-4.5 speed), and can extend his arms to make leaping catches. Obviously, Willis isn't QUITE AJ in terms of actual ability though.

I think the Bengals will ultimately draft a player to replace AJ next year or the year after. Next year has a lot of really good WRs with WR1 capabilities.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 08:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think Willis has a decent shot to make the team as well.

I don't think it's crazy to think all of Tate, Willis, and Morgan could make the roster this year.
If they do, I think it would mean Core and Malone are gone.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 09:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think it's crazy to think all of Tate, Willis, and Morgan could make the roster this year.
If they do, I think it would mean Core and Malone are gone.

Agree

I believe both Core and Malone are on thin ice. They've both been way to inconsistent and disappeared to many times. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the new guys shove them out.
Reply/Quote

Boyd is easily the most complete WR on the roster while AJ is out.

Hoping Ross can stay healthy, Tate and Willis can make the roster and Malone can keep improving.

Have really good Receiver talent honestly and finally a good WR coach in Bicknell.

Morgan is already a polished Receiver. O-line is my concern and a bit at LB until Pratt gets comfortable.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 10:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Boyd is easily the most complete WR on the roster while AJ is out.

Hoping Ross can stay healthy, Tate and Willis can make the roster and Malone can keep improving.

Have really good Receiver talent honestly and finally a good WR coach in Bicknell.

Morgan is already a polished Receiver. O-line is my concern and a bit at LB until Pratt gets comfortable.

Boyd at X is the only real option. Ross can stay at Z.
Reply/Quote
I think Tate will make the team and have a good year, I don't think he will be one of our top two but that may change if Ross can't stay fit
Reply/Quote
Willis or D-Will as the players call him put him in AJ spot leave Boyd where he is no reason to play musical chairs because one guy is out.
Reply/Quote