Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things I learned from watching the Thursday night NFL season opener
Know your officiating crew or figure them out quick. If they're going to call you for defensive holding all over the place you have to adjust.

Also, even though Green Bay won, I don't know if Rodgers is going to last the season. He was sacked 5 times, 4 of which were on 3rd down. I guess the lesson here is...having a solid backup is important. Or at least don't be afraid to check it down for a short gain even if it means you'll probably need to punt. Live to fight another drive/day.

The run game wasn't really working for Green Bay but they did stay with it. With all those sacks you absolutely need to keep handing it off if only to give your signal caller some breathing room. The Bears actually were getting better YPC but ran it less, in part because they were behind but also in part because penalties were putting them in longer yardage situations. Trubisky got sacked 5 times too and you wonder if they had ran it more if he would've been fresher/had more time on those final drives.

Is this really going to be the look of the NFL this year, or was this a single officiating crew? Or maybe the refs will start the year flag happy and eventually settle down into letting the teams play by the start of November? I suppose it is possible that these defenses really were that good (certainly we know the Bears defense is good from last year and Green Bay has invested in their defense with draft picks and FA). Or else the Bear's offense really is that bad. I'm not really sold of their WR corp. I'm not saying there isn't some talent there but no one really stepped up and ignited the offense. Maybe the lesson for us here is that your skill position guys need to be rested, focused, and motivated at game time. There is a lot to be said for finding someone with hot hands to get things going. Or in our case, just throwing to an RB could jumpstart the passing game. Which, come to think of it, is another way the Gio signing could pay off (though of course Mixon can absolutely catch balls out of the backfield too).

I will give props to the Bears offense for engaging in a bit of history though. They came out in a T formation -- an offense they popularized 100 years ago.

Anyone else catch the game/have any observations that could be relevant to us?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Things I learned from watching the Thursday night NFL season opener - BoomerFan - 09-06-2019, 07:40 AM