Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Official AFCN Power Rankings (Updated Week 9)
(10-14-2019, 03:10 PM)Dill Wrote: And the antecedent of the plural pronoun "their" cannot be the singular "someone,"

Ahem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
Quote:Singular they is the use in English of the pronoun they or its inflected or derivative forms, themtheirtheirs, and themselves (or themself), as an epicene (gender-neutral) singular pronoun. It typically occurs with an unspecified antecedent, as in sentences such as:
  • "Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Would they please collect it?"[1]
  • "The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay."[2]
  • "But a journalist should not be forced to reveal their sources."[2]

(10-14-2019, 03:10 PM)Dill Wrote: Don't want to grammar smack. Just the opposite--saying everyone ought to leave that behind. Waste of time nowadays. 

I find with the auto correct I often post mistakes I don't think I really made and don't always catch.

When I see typos and grammar errors in others posts, I presume the same has happened to them.

In your rush to try to out grammar nazi me, you may have missed that this is the smack forum. And, yes, while grammar smack is one of the lowest forms of smack, I felt it was the highest level of smack the person of unknown gender I was responding to deserved. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Official AFCN Power Rankings - McC - 09-09-2019, 12:32 AM
RE: Official AFCN Power Rankings - jason - 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Official AFCN Power Rankings - Sled21 - 09-09-2019, 11:09 AM
RE: Official AFCN Power Rankings - jason - 09-09-2019, 07:16 PM
RE: Official AFCN Power Rankings (Updated Week 5) - PhilHos - 10-14-2019, 04:25 PM