Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At least 8 Ex-Bengals on upcoming HOF nominees list.
(09-14-2019, 01:03 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Boomer had three winning seasons in the NFL out of 14. In those three seasons, the Bengals were #2 in rushing, ('86), #1 in rushing ('88) and #3 in rushing ('90). He had one .500 season with the Jets and 10 losing seasons.

Without a great running game, Boomer was a losing QB.

He had 4 winning seasons as a QB, you're forgetting 1997, he was 4-1 that year. Also, he had 2 .500 seasons, he was 7-7 in 1985.

(09-14-2019, 12:31 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Boomer doesn't strike me as a HoF-caliber player. He was good enough when at his best, sure, but I don't think he showed that enough.

If you left Cincinnati and asked the average NFL fan to name QBs from the late 80s/early 90s, how many would they name before Boomer? Not saying that's fair, but it definitely matters.

I think you're underestimating Boomer's national awareness level by the average fan. He was a big enough deal that he was pretty much a household name here in Chicago during his playing days. On top of that between MNF and CBS he's kept himself in a national spotlight after his career as well. 

I don't think Boomer's a sure-fire HOF caliber guy (if he was, he'd be in already), but of those late 80's/early 90's QB's that the average person would be able to name, most are already in. Montana, Marino, Elway, Aikman, Young, Moon, Kelly, Favre, Cunningham & maybe Simms. Of those only Cunningham & Simms aren't in. Looking at those that're even nominated this time around, and assuming they'll want at least one QB, it isn't' a spectacular list. Cunningham (maybe), Delhomme ( Hilarious ), Garcia (unlikely), Hostetler (no), Kreig (maybe, but unlikely), McNabb (maybe).

Boomer's a long-shot, to be sure. But it wouldn't surprise me either. That group of nominated QB's only has 1 MVP (Boomer) and 2 QB's that were All-Pro's (Boomer and Cunningham). Stats-wise, only Krieg had more TD's (261/247), 4th quarter comebacks (23/19) and passing yards (38,147/37,920) than Boomer did but he played 5 more seasons. Boomer leads all the nominees in game winning drives with 26, and left-handed TD passes ( Sarcasm ). If I were to guess on likelihood it'd be Cunningham first (dual threat gives him the edge), then Boomer and McNabb 2-3 (interchangeable), Kreig 4, Garcia 5, Hostetler 6, Delhomme 7.
(09-14-2019, 01:14 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Boomer, Chad, Willie, Takeo and Justin should all go in as Bengals
Justin Smith's better known to the populace as a 49er. He went from a good, largely unknown nationally (surprise, surprise) DE with the Bengals to a 5x Pro Bowler and 1x All-Pro with the 49ers. Statistics-wise it's creepy how similar the splits are though, same exact number of seasons (7 each), and sacks (43.5 for each team), 52 more tackles as a Bengal (466/414), 12 more passed defended as a Bengal (21/9), but 9 more tackles for a loss as 49er (64/55) and 4 more forced fumbles (10/6) as a 49er.

Takeo's best seasons came as a Bengal (save for his 2nd year in Buffalo), but all his awards and accolades came as a member of the Bills (2x Pro Bowl, 1x All-Pro)
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: At least 8 Ex-Bengals on upcoming HOF nominees list. - Ravage - 09-14-2019, 02:34 AM