Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts after a few weeks...
(09-16-2019, 07:54 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Sorry I thought we were talking about Dalton and Mahomes. A lot of QBs have won playoff games but Dalton hasn't. What's your point.

The original point (which I am trying to avoid making this a Dalton is good vs Dalton is bad) is that they way QBs are evaluated and analyzed isn't consistent.

Smith was replaced by 2 QBs that are considered "dynamic".  I hate that expression, it is the same as a "QB with upside".  I don't like these terms because they basically mean a QB that can run fast when he decides to keep the ball and run.  They aren't "pure" pocket passers and need to be developed into reading defenses and going through their progressions and reads.  When nothing is there they take off and run.

Smith took the 49ners to the NFCCG, was injured, Kap took over, same team, went the SB.  The pundits claimed that the difference between Smith and Kap is that Smith will only get you to the NFCCG while Kap will get you a SB win.

Smith then goes to KC, takes them to the playoffs, wins games, does everything he is supposed to do.  Mahomes takes over, and everyone is crowning him as a superstar.  I admit that Mahomes played great last year, he is off to a good start this year, but he is far from being this perfect QB that he is being made out to be.  They are crediting him for things that should actually go to Reid and even those around him.  His style of play is fun to watch, no doubt, but is it sustainable? 

Wentz on the other hand missed on a throw that Foles also missed on when they won the SB, the WR was blasted when Wentz missed, but Foles was criticized when he missed.  The announcers even said that the difference between Wentz and Foles is that Wentz completes that pass.  Even though Foles won the SB, and Wentz may never make it to one, none of the pundits will ever say that Wentz is only good enough to get you to the playoffs, but Foles will get you the SB win.  The pundits save those statements for the "dynamic" QBs.

However not too many dynamic QBs make it to the SB, let alone win one. 

If you want you can read my first post.  I have tried to keep this from being Dalton vs and focused more on my contempt for want I call lazy QB evaluations.  Dalton just happens to be our QB, with a good OLine and healthy playmakers, I think he is good enough to win SBs.  I felt the HC was a factor in his style and system of play.  I want to give him a year with ZT and fixing the bigger holes than worry about "upgrading" the QB.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts after a few weeks... - thillan - 09-16-2019, 12:08 AM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-16-2019, 12:24 AM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - OswaldsLegacy - 09-16-2019, 08:39 PM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - pally - 09-16-2019, 09:33 AM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-17-2019, 07:00 PM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-17-2019, 02:05 AM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - Brimey - 09-17-2019, 06:30 PM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-17-2019, 07:06 PM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - Brimey - 09-17-2019, 07:20 PM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-17-2019, 08:23 PM