Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts after a few weeks...
(09-17-2019, 12:24 AM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Sacks don't tell the whole story though. You know that right?

If not, read my post to your question about 2017.

All you've done is give the same old, tired excuses about how "if" this and "if" that and every single one of them--and there's a lot--is necessary in order to put Dalton anywhere near the top 10 QBs in this league. The excuses, or "reasons" as people like to call them, are all imaginary and a perfect crutch to prop him up when the reality is, he's had 4 tries to win a a playoff game and he's played well in 2 quarters of one game. 

Instead of posting those same damn old, tired excuses, you should take a good look at the sheer number of them and finally come to the realization that he's nothing more than an average QB that can win some games on Sunday afternoon but has never shown even a flash of being able to win a game in the playoffs or even make the throws necessary to win a game late on a Sunday or Monday night against a playoff quality team. 

Every single passing play in every single football game gives a QB several opportunities for success and every choice that player makes on any given play will give him a different level of success, depending on his decision. The sum of those decisions will determine two things; the raw stats he produces and the outcome of the game--tight win, comfortable win, big win, tight loss, comfortable loss, big loss. If you were able to put each and every QB in the exact same circumstance, running the exact same play against the exact same defense you are going to have different outcomes. All the excuses in the world cannot cover that fact. 

Andy Dalton will typically make a good decision, make a good play most of the time and in a 16 game season, end up with a few great throws that usually net him stats that keep him somewhere from the middle to lower middle of the pack, with a couple exceptions when his skill players are healthy and he's given more time to throw and he's able to produce above average stats. 

Guys like Mahommes, Rodgers, Roethlisberger and Ryan have physical skills that allow them to make throws that Dalton simply can't make. Other guys like Wilson, Prescott, Watson and, yes Jackson, have physical skills that allow them to extend plays until receivers can get open. Some of those guys have both. Guys like Brady, Brees and Rivers are less mobile but have the brains and touch to tear you apart all game long. That is the only group that Dalton has a chance to be in, except he doesn't have the touch or ability to move in the pocket that would allow him to be as successful as them. 

Getting back to my earlier statement about different QBs being in the exact same circumstances and the decisions they make; Dalton will always do just enough to keep him as a viable starting QB in the NFL because he's a smart guy with some physical abilitites, but on any one of those plays, a different QB will make a different decision which could completely effect the outcome of the play. For example, on a 3rd and 5, Dalton may read a safety blitz and choose to throw a slant to the opposite side to get a first down. A guy like Ben may read the exact same thing and decide to hold on to the ball a second longer and then throw to the WR who now has single coverage because he has the arm and accuracy to make that throw, along with the confidence. Dalton made a good read, which resulted in a first down, but later in the drive the Bengals punted. Ben got 7. That is one example of how on 1 play, two QBs make different decisions that directly effect the outcome of a game. Multiply those single plays times a game, a season and a career and it's why some guys win playoff games, super bowls and go to the HoF.  

On a Monday night, Mahommes ran out of the pocket on 3rd down, away from Von freaking Miller long enough to throw a left handed pass that resulted in a first down. Do you think Dalton could do that? Short answer; no. 

I can't believe i typed all this to someone who is only concerned with wasting mutiple posts about how "if" this and "if" that, Dalton would do much better or how "if" this or "if" that, Mahommes wouldn't be as good. It's all complete bullshit, short sighted and doesn't do anything but speculate a bunch of things that a QB (Dalton) has had 8 seasons and 2 games to actually do, but hasn't up to this point--so if you choose to stay on your line of thinking and throw a bunch more BS and excuses my way, instead of looking at the, clearly, valid reasons why one QB is better than another under the exact same circumstances, i can guarantee i will completely ignore your reply, because i'm sick and tired of hearing 8 years and 2 games worth of "ifs". The sheer number of them are absolutely, positively ridiculous. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts after a few weeks... - thillan - 09-16-2019, 12:08 AM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-16-2019, 12:24 AM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - pally - 09-16-2019, 09:33 AM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - rfaulk34 - 09-17-2019, 04:21 AM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-17-2019, 07:00 PM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-17-2019, 02:05 AM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - Brimey - 09-17-2019, 06:30 PM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-17-2019, 07:06 PM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - Brimey - 09-17-2019, 07:20 PM
RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-17-2019, 08:23 PM