Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reds Payroll Problems Off Season
I'm going to go to the start of Money Ball movie as the new GM takes Jason Giambi and other stars off the board. The manager, coaches, scouts are all upset. The new GM says we can't afford Giambi, he is gone. That has to be Votto. Look high and low for a team to trade him to. Much like Giambi in this movie, Reds can't afford him, he is gone. That is the Money Ball move on rebuilding this always near Last Place team.

However I disagree with the Money Ball GM that took over Oakland A's in movie on 2 points. #1 is that the season is not a bust if you don't win the World Series. In fact Reds around 1st place around All-Star Game is good because you are giving the summer fans a reason to watch the Reds. That may be more important in July than who wins Halloween. #2 is keep stealing bases. This guy is too much of a throw back to old all white American League of no base stealing. The Negro Leagues and Jackie Robinson brought more base stealing to the game and it's a good thing. The 1970's Reds could steal bases, and Sparky even used the double steal a lot. So keep stealing bases.

On admitting that team can't afford a Giambi or in our case Votto, I do agree with the Money Ball guy on that, and it is not unlike Jack McKeon while with the Reds in 1999. Free up payroll to field a deeper team of 25 players.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Reds Payroll Problems Off Season - kevin - 09-28-2019, 01:59 PM
RE: Reds Payroll Problems Off Season - kevin - 09-30-2019, 02:22 AM