Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Maybe QB isn't our biggest problem?
(10-12-2019, 12:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd consider a franchise QB a Top 10 QB that makes a team much better just by his presence. But, yeah projecting that is the trick.

Dalton, if you ranked QB's was somewhere in the mid-teens at best. At worst he's maybe low 20's.

Watson and Mahommes definitely are franchise. Brady. Probably Wilson and Prescott. Aaron Rodgers. Roethlisberger. Brees.

Franchise QBs aren't that hard to see. It should take about 5 years of sustained, top 15 play, for a guy to get that 2nd (big) contract. 

Going by that 5 year mark, starting in 2014, based on passer rating, the top 15 guys are, Mahomes, Watson, Brees, Wilson, Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Cousins, Prescott, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Smith, Luck, Stafford, Goff. I'd remove Mahomes, Watson, Prescott and Goff because they're still too young and haven't proven it over several seasons. I'd remove Cousins because he's in year 5 right now. If he matches what he's done this year, he belongs on the list. Right below those 15 are Wentz, Tannehill, Dalton, Mariota, Carr and Winston. They're on the outside looking in. 

So, of the established QBs since 2014, the "true" franchise QBs are currently; Brees, Wilson, Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Rivers and Stafford. Eight guys. With Cousins close to joining them. 

Potential franchise QBs, by that criteria, based on the early numbers they put up are; Mahomes and Watson. 
Goff, Wentz and Prescott still have a way to go before earning that 2nd big contract, though they'll probably get it regardless partly by their play and partly by where they were drafted (except Prescott). 

The kicker is...since it's hard to find a guy that can consistently give you top 10-15 play, guys in the 15-20 range have a good chance of getting that contract anyway. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Maybe QB isn't our biggest problem? - J24 - 10-11-2019, 06:35 PM
RE: Maybe QB isn't our biggest problem? - rfaulk34 - 10-12-2019, 03:04 AM