Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Maybe QB isn't our biggest problem?
(10-13-2019, 10:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: See, this is what i've been spewing about for the last couple weeks (maybe longer--it's in a reply somewhere on here). A good QB can move and avoid the rush better than Dalton which gives him a chance to complete more passes or run for more yards. Completing those passes or running, turns into more opportunities for first downs which does 2 things; gives a better chance at scoring points and keeps the defense off the field longer. 

A QB can mask a teams deficiencies on both sides of the ball simultaneously. He can also give you a chance when the defense is crapping all over themselves by being able to put more points on the board, keeping the team in the game. The Bengals currently have enough talented skill position players to help a good QB out. Even moreso with AJ back in the lineup. 
All that said, a shiny new athletic QB can't carry a team for his career without help, see; Carson Palmer. Other areas still need to be addressed in order to make the team a true SB contender. 
A new QB is more like stitches to close a wound. 

P.S. As an example, Deshaun Watson gets sacked more than Dalton (i have a post about that around here somewhere too--most sacked QBs), but he's able to still avoid more often than not and extend drives, helping his team win games. He does it with his feet as well as his arm. Today's dual threat QB is not like yesterday's dual threat QB. He's not a guy that can barely pass but is a good runner, ala, Vick, he's a guy that can hurt you running AND passing equally. 
Right now, Andy Dalton is the guy that keeps ripping those stitches out. 

I harp on pocket presence but I don't know that a lot of people get it. Brady's lineman give up pressure too, but he sense it and moves up 2 feet in the pocket and the DE has no angle to sack him.

Dalton may be the worst QB in the NFL at moving around the pocket to avoid the blitz. He just doesn't have it. So he gets sacked when a guy like Brady or Roethlisberger wouldn't.

It's teachable to some extent...but not at this point in his career.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Maybe QB isn't our biggest problem? - J24 - 10-11-2019, 06:35 PM
RE: Maybe QB isn't our biggest problem? - THE PISTONS - 10-13-2019, 10:27 PM