Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How does this get fixed - realistically
(10-16-2019, 01:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Bengals Management's Plan to Fix the Team:

1 ) Draft
2 ) Another year of coaching from ZT's staff
3 ) Health
4 ) 2 or 3 bargain bin free agents

I think since this is the most realistic approach, we shouldn't hope or plan for a total overhaul but take this and try to tweak it.

Here's my try:

Draft- Trade first round pick for more picks.  They don't all have to be this year.  We should certainly end up in the top 3, and if Miami and Washington somehow both finish worse than the Bengals that is where we end up.  Realistically, I see us drafting 2nd.  You should get at least TWO first rounders and more for that spot.  We need a LOT of high draft picks.  One player won't transform this team.  

Coaching-  Yes, another year should be better, but if there is no improvement through the year on defense then they might need to go in a different direction.  Alex Grinch has transformed Oklahoma from sieve to solid defense in one year.  He is an Ohio native and is young, innovative, and aggressive.  I would hire him tomorrow as DC.  I would similarly get rid of Jim Turner.  Looks like a toxic asshole and we don't need any of that.  ZT will improve when his talent improves.  His line is bad to start and now half are gone injured.  I give him more chances.

Health is unpredictable, but depth is controllable.  The back end of the roster needs more young players to develop, not re-treads that are done.

Free Agency-  Here is where you make the biggest change.  If you are going to clearly move on from Dalton after next year (maybe next year if someone is desperate for a QB, but unlikely) then you will have the cap space to pay some big name, higher dollar FA.  I would avoid the drama of a me, me, me player like OBJ, but some big name defensive players at LB and Defensive line or safety would go a long way to raising the standard of play, getting the fans excited, and showing the NFL you mean business.  You might have to overpay, but we made that bed and we have to sleep in it.  

So, in summary, trade first pick for more picks. Get Alex Grinch as DC and pay him a lot.  Fire Jim Turner.  Go young at the back end of the roster and try to develop.  Get 3-4 top-tier FA before next year.  My desired position groups to target in order of preference would be: LB, S, Defensive End, Offensive line.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How does this get fixed - realistically - SHRacerX - 10-18-2019, 10:52 AM