Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon severely underutilized in passing game
(10-17-2019, 11:55 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Why is it a priority? Because he's the best offensive player on the field and you have to find a way to use him.

Obviously, in my original post, I stated the short comings of the offensive line. There are also things you can do to help the offensive line other than drop straight back 40 times a game. Move the pocket. While Andy's pocket presence isn't very good,  he can be serviceably mobile if the play design calls for it. Keep a TE in to block. Run mis-direction play action. Utilize Mixon in the passing game on 1st down when defenses are in their base defense. Use him on 3rd and short other than an off-tackle run. You can still create mis-matches with him in the passing game, but with a bad offensive line it will take more creativity than what I've seen. 

This sounds cool and I can work through the new issues each of those "solutions create", in fact I can show cut ups of a lot of those solutions not working from this very year. I am a big fan of hiding flaws through scheme, but you can't hide much with a team this bad. Mixon catching more isn't saving this team, he is basically on pace to catch 10 balls less than last year when he was a pretty pedestrian weapon in the passing game. 

When the QB has to get the ball of quick teams play tighter which allows more rallying which makes the short passing game less effective. I'd actually argue AJ being back is going to be the biggest help to the passing attack out of the backfield. Even though the line will still stink teams will play with more depth off the snap which should prevent rallying giving Joe more one on one situations when he does catch the ball. I'd still point out, I think Mixon has been worse this year even when he has had solid blocking at times. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon severely underutilized in passing game - Au165 - 10-17-2019, 12:06 PM