Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon severely underutilized in passing game
(10-17-2019, 04:22 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Yeah, such a weird claim that they aren't trying enough to utilize Mixon to his full capabilities. So weird. What's weird is I have to explain that concept to you. Get the ball in the hands of your play makers. Let them make plays. Football 101. Again, other teams with bad offensive lines find a way. No, it doesn't make that team good. Yes, it's common sense. Are teams just to give up on utilizing their best offensive skill players because they realize they have a bad offensive line? That's what this Bengals team has done all season with Mixon. Can't run it so he's a non-factor.

Having the worst rushing offense is even more reason to try to get the ball in Mixon's hands in other ways.

Players of Mixon's age and ability don't just suddenly regress. This offensive scheme has done nothing to utilize his pass catching skills. 14 receptions in 6 games, most of which have been screens.

Man, I get you think you know football at some advanced level...but you don't. Trying to pull the "Football 101" card on me is bad enough but let's not pretend like you know more than a professional coach and it's so obvious. If we put the ball in Mixon's hands what actually changes? Let's say he gets 5 more receptions a game at 6.9 yards a catch. We now have 34.5 more yards, but that took away catches from receivers who as a group average 11 yards a reception. Maybe you break one occasionally, or maybe he keeps getting hit right when he catches it. 

It's easy to say throw him the ball, it's harder to make it happen with success. We have thrown non screen passes that have not gone anywhere, acting like we haven't is disingenuous. I'm guessing you read/heard this stat somewhere and have zero'd in on it, but there is no actual proof behind it making any difference. Using a bunch of teams who as a whole average less than two wins isn't the move either.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon severely underutilized in passing game - Au165 - 10-17-2019, 04:43 PM