Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The running game - what gives ?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068689/article/frustrating-bengals-struggle-to-get-joe-mixon-going

Cincinnati averages 53.1 rush YPG and allows 189.0 rush YPG this season. The 135.9 rush YPG differential is the worst by any team in a season since the 1950 Baltimore Colts (-140.9).

It's so bad I have to question, is it really just that the Oline is that bad ? I mean I get it our starters are marginal at best. But don't other factors have to be contributing to the awfulness ?

Bad blocking technique ?

Are we tipping our run plays somehow ?

Are we to predictable ?

Do we need a fullback ?

Like Pistons has said we've fielded basically the same Oline as last season a lot of the time. It just seems to me there's more going on here than just how bad the players are.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068689/article/frustrating-bengals-struggle-to-get-joe-mixon-going

Cincinnati averages 53.1 rush YPG and allows 189.0 rush YPG this season. The 135.9 rush YPG differential is the worst by any team in a season since the 1950 Baltimore Colts (-140.9).

It's so bad I have to question, is it really just that the Oline is that bad ? I mean I get it our starters are marginal at best. But don't other factors have to be contributing to the awfulness ?

Bad blocking technique ?

Are we to predictable ?

Do we need a fullback ?

Like Pistons has said we've fielded basically the same Oline as last season a lot of the time. It just seems to me there's more going on here than just how bad the players are.
This is a good question!

There are better qualified people on here than I but it looks like to me that the OL are not turning their guys and instead are pushing more North-to-South.  I would have to say the the entire line with exception of Miller, have weak core.  The Bengals need to use two TE sets maybe chip blocking on right side.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
It's not really the same offensive line. Andre Smith and John Jerry didn't play LT last year. Hopkins only played half the season at C. Boling played LG. Redmond played RG. I don't think Price took a snap at either guard position. Really, it's not even close to the same offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068689/article/frustrating-bengals-struggle-to-get-joe-mixon-going

Bad blocking technique ?

Are we to predictable ?

Do we need a fullback ?

combo of bad OL....  BAD Play calls and teams being able to stack the box cause we have no WRs
Reply/Quote

Bad blocking technique ?

Are we to predictable ?

Do we need a fullback ?

Ngakoue said after JAX game that the Bengals were essentially tipping their plays based on whether Mixon or Bernard was in the game. Said if Bernard was in, it was going to be a pass, and a run if Mixon was in.

Also, the OL is not winning one-on-one matchups and driving back the LOS. 

And yes, I think a fullback would help, as their TEs are not blocking well enough.
I'd roll out Mixon, a FB, Uzomah, Boyd, and Tate. Seems to be the best set of blocking to me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Seems like the Bengals are losing 1-1 battles. And they have been losing those battles for most plays during the regular season. This would suggest lack of talent and execution. Could also mean the technique as taught by Turner is falling short.

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 09:55 AM)Fullrock Wrote: It's not really the same offensive line. Andre Smith and John Jerry didn't play LT last year. Hopkins only played half the season at C. Boling played LG. Redmond played RG. I don't think Price took a snap at either guard position. Really, it's not even close to the same offensive line.

This. There's been a lot of misinformation spread around here lately....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 09:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: combo of bad OL....  BAD Play calls and teams being able to stack the box cause we have no WRs

Why do people continue to act like Tyler Boyd is some scrub this season? He has the 18th most yards of any WR in the league, and is top 10 in receptions.

Ross, Tate, and Erickson, have all also had at least one big game a piece. I do have a guess why some are doing this, but I’ll leave it at that...

Reply/Quote
Did anyone else see New England the other night? On short yardage situations they used a jumbo package on both sides with a center, two guards, and four tackles. That gave Sony Michel A-, B-, and C-gaps to choose from — and he selected the biggest gap every time. That’s how the Patriots get a first down almost any time they need one.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 09:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: combo of bad OL....  BAD Play calls and teams being able to stack the box cause we have no WRs

But read the article, teams aren't stacking the box.
Reply/Quote

Bad blocking technique ?

Are we to predictable ?

Do we need a fullback ?

Agreed. And while a big chunk of the issues are on the offensive line, I'd say that some is on technique, coaching, playcalling, and yes...even the RB's.

I read quotes by Taylor that 1 or 2 players mess up on plays...but it's a different guy on a different play. That doesn't bode well for players being able to learn the scheme.
Reply/Quote
It's a multitude of things killing the running game.

1. No speed on the field at WR. When you are lining up Boyd, Tate, and Erickson as your top 3 WR's, that scares no one from a speed standpoint. They are all possession type receivers. Allows teams to bring a safety in the box. Teams are loading up to stop Mixon. That's a bad recipe with a bad offensive line.

2. No cohesiveness on the O-line. When you have a challenged offensive line to begin with, it becomes even more challenging when the group is always changing due to injuries and poor play. LT has been a revolving door since the preseason. So has LG. Miller has missed games at RG. Lack of stability and cohesiveness matter on the O-line.

3. They're just bad run blockers. Can't win 1-on-1 matchups, Can't get to the second level to block LB's
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 10:39 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: But read the article, teams aren't stacking the box.

Also penalties don't help...

They probly don't have to stack the box.

you know what might help the Running game...  one of those things called a Fullback...   but again that would take smart coaching and play design to use.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 10:52 AM)Fullrock Wrote: It's a multitude of things killing the running game.

1. No speed on the field at WR. When you are lining up Boyd, Tate, and Erickson as your top 3 WR's, that scares no one from a speed standpoint. They are all possession type receivers. Allows teams to bring a safety in the box. Teams are loading up to stop Mixon. That's a bad recipe with a bad offensive line.

2. No cohesiveness on the O-line. When you have a challenged offensive line to begin with, it becomes even more challenging when the group is always changing due to injuries and poor play. LT has been a revolving door since the preseason. So has LG. Miller has missed games at RG. Lack of stability and cohesiveness matter on the O-line.

3. They're just bad run blockers. Can't win 1-on-1 matchups, Can't get to the second level to block LB's

That's just it though...even with Ross we were bad.

And, I saw a stat that teams have been in an 8+ man front against Mixon like 6% of the time...which was 3rd lowest in the NFL. So they're stopping the run with minimal personnel.
Reply/Quote
I've never seen anything like it, I don't think. It's so bad that I get an adrenaline rush over a 5-yard run.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Turner must really be a nightmare to work with/for. I can only imagine the stories that will eventually come out from there. From leader to loser in the AFC in yardage doesnt just happen just because.
Reply/Quote
Bad blocking technique ? Super Bad

Are we tipping our run plays somehow ? Yep

Are we to predictable ? Yep

Do we need a fullback ? Maybe, but if you fix the line then maybe not. The OL has proven over again they cannot open holes yet Mixon keeps trying to find them. Maybe they need to work some things outside which may help open up holes on the inside. Who knows, but this team seems weak. I mean physically weak. When players of other teams talk bad about the effort put forward, then our problems run deeper than expected.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 11:22 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Bad blocking technique ? Super Bad

Are we tipping our run plays somehow ? Yep

Are we to predictable ? Yep

Do we need a fullback ? Maybe, but if you fix the line then maybe not. The OL has proven over again they cannot open holes yet Mixon keeps trying to find them. Maybe they need to work some things outside which may help open up holes on the inside. Who knows, but this team seems weak. I mean physically weak. When players of other teams talk bad about the effort put forward, then our problems run deeper than expected.

Yeah I read the Jags players say on the screen pick 6 that when Bernard is in the Bengals pass. When Mixon is in they run.

That's super bad on the coaching.
Reply/Quote

They aren't stacking the box though. I was surprised to find that out myself. They're getting shut down with 7 in the box. That's how bad we've been.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 11:32 AM)jason Wrote: They aren't stacking the box though. I was surprised to find that out myself. They're getting shut down with 7 in the box. That's how bad we've been.

There's always the possibility that Mixon isn't what we thought he was (cue in Denny Green here)? I doubt that's it, but possible. We are just bad everywhere. As for ZT's play calling, it seems stale already. No real creativity. Not that we havent seen a lot of things different than past years, but it looks so basic. We have zero element of surprise and Andy seems as if he's not reading defenses worth a shit. It seems the few times he does audible, he's choosing something worse than what he was probably going to run in the first place. Of course that can't be proven but damn, you guys see the same stuff I see, and it's real bad.

Reply/Quote