Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have to take a QB if we have a top 5 pick?
(10-29-2019, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I hear a lot of people saying that we have to take a QB if we end up with a top 5 pick.

I am not saying we should NOT take a QB with our top 5 pick if the right guy is there, but I think a lot of QBs get drafted too high because of this line of thinking.  

For example, there have been 28 QBs taken in the top 5 picks of the last 20 drafts.  Only 6 of those 28 have started a Super Bowl and one of those was Blake Bortles.

Of the 21 QBs who have started the last 20 Super Bowls only 8 were taken in the first five picks.  That is the same number who were taken in the second round or later.  And no top 5 selection without the last name "Manning" has won Super Bowl in the last 20 years.

I know QB is the most important position on the team, and I know Dalton only has one year left on his contract.  So we have to be looking for a new QB, but I just don't want us to reach out of desperation.

I think this mainly shows that it's generally bad teams picking top 5 with lots of holes, not just at QB. A new QB is more likely to put an 9-7 team over the top rather than an organization in disarray enough to finish 3-13. What happens with those types of organizations picking 1-5 is they lurch from Head Coach/GM to Head Coach/GM, changing philosophies and schemes.

I'd also suggest that it's less about teams reaching for the position and more about just bad assessment as often there will be better QBs taken after them.

Finally, are there actually more busts at 6-10 than 1-5?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have to take a QB if we have a top 5 pick? - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 10-29-2019, 01:12 PM