Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have to take a QB if we have a top 5 pick?
(10-29-2019, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I hear a lot of people saying that we have to take a QB if we end up with a top 5 pick.

I am not saying we should NOT take a QB with our top 5 pick if the right guy is there, but I think a lot of QBs get drafted too high because of this line of thinking.  

For example, there have been 28 QBs taken in the top 5 picks of the last 20 drafts.  Only 5 of those 28 have started a Super Bowl.

Of the 21 QBs who have started the last 20 Super Bowls only 8 were taken in the first five picks.  That is the same number who were taken in the second round or later.  And no top 5 selection without the last name "Manning" has won Super Bowl in the last 20 years.

I know QB is the most important position on the team, and I know Dalton only has one year left on his contract.  So we have to be looking for a new QB, but I just don't want us to reach out of desperation.

The last first round pick to be an impact player with Pro Bowl awards was drafted in 2011 and that is AJ Green.  Some of the guys since then were drafted a round or two too early with some just terrible pros.  Price and Oghuebi for example as terrible pro's. 
Its the reason the Bengals are failures in the NFL.
I'd advocate a draft where the Bengals start now to acquire draft picks to improve their odds of finding impact players.  They've done better with 2ed, 3rd and 4th rounders than with 1sts.  The new coaching staff inherited tons of dead wood from past drafts, so they deserve a chance to clean house with new picks.  AJ, Dunlop, Atkins and others won't get the team into contention, so trade them for picks. 
No idea if a QB is their first pick in 2020, as best they can they should go BPA.  They have the holes to absorb new starters right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have to take a QB if we have a top 5 pick? - bengals1969 - 10-29-2019, 02:08 PM