Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals v Steelers in Lewis era
This is a repeat, but worth posting for those who have not seen this yet

The level of domination the Steelers had over the Bengals in the Marvin Lewis era defies logic. The Steelers were a better team than the Bengals most of the time, but not by that much.

(winning teams = teams that finished with winning record)

First of all most people don't realize that during the Marvin Era only 5 teams (Phi, Ind, Den, Pitt, NE) had more wins against winning teams than the Bengals 42, but look at the breakdown of the Bengals and Steelers wins.

Bengals had 38 wins against winning teams other than Steelers.
Steelers had 38 wins against winning teams other than Bengals.

Bengals had 4 wins against Steelers when they finished with a winning record.
Steelers had 19 wins against Bengals when they finished with a winning record.

ONE THIRD of all of the Steelers wins against winning teams came against just one team, the Bengals.  They were not that much better than us, but they absolutely owned us.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is a repeat, but worth posting for those who have not seen this yet

The level of domination the Steelers had over the Bengals in the Marvin Lewis era defies logic. The Steelers were a better team than the Bengals most of the time, but not by that much.

First of all most people don't realize that during the Marvin Era only 5 teams (Phi, Ind, Den, Pitt, NE) had more wins against winning teams than the Bengals 42, but look at the breakdown of the Bengals and Steelers wins.

ONE THIRD of all of the Steelers wins against winning teams came against just one team, the Bengals.  They were not that much better than us, but they absolutely owned us.

Yes it does defy all logic ! What did ML win at home vs. them ? 3 games I believe ? Just beyond any description.

What year was it 07 ? when they went like 6-10 or something ? Late in the season they had several out with injuries and still managed to help knock us out of playoffs.

I remember another game maybe four or five years ago, they had like 5 or 6 starters out, I think even Big Jen was out. Everybody thought ok we got em now. They kicked our @ZZ plumb up between our shoulders.

The Steelers are 1,000% in their heads, even to this day. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As a University of Tennessee fan I deal with the same thing regarding Florida's football team. Even when we were better than them they still beat us.
Reply/Quote
And then to further complicate things during that period - we owned the Raven and the Ravens owned the Steelers. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 02:59 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: And then to further complicate things during that period - we owned the Raven and the Ravens owned the Steelers. Mellow

And everyone owned the Browns.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 03:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And everyone owned the Browns.

And now everyone owns us Cry
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 02:59 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: And then to further complicate things during that period - we owned the Raven and the Ravens owned the Steelers. Mellow

We owned the Ravens.
The Ravens owned the Steelers.
So we owned the Steelers!
Reply/Quote
Sure seems to me that if a team owns you especially to that extent then they actually ARE that much better than you. Add in the inability of one team to NEVER win a playoff game and the other team winning several and that only adds to that team being that much better.

Head to head in sports is one of the truest and purest measures in pitting teams against one another and to dominate in that fashion further validates it.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 04:02 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Sure seems to me that if a team owns you especially to that extent then they actually ARE that much better than you. Add in the inability of one team to NEVER win a playoff game and the other team winning several and that only adds to that team being that much better.

Head to head in sports is one of the truest and purest measures in pitting teams against one another and to dominate in that fashion further validates it.

I don't think anybody with any sense would really try to argue we're better than the Steelers in any metric (other than the metric of 'not being the scummiest franchise going). I think the point is more that under Marv we had plenty of seasons where we were just as good, if not better than they were. But still they would beat us or at least split the series. When we're worse than they are, its an 0-2 season every time.

It is strange when you then consider Marv's record against the Ravens. So much better against a team which haven't been that inferior (if at all) to the Steelers over the same period. Some matchups are more favourable etc, but I think it really is as simple as we don't fear the Ravens and losing to them is no biggie. We do fear the Steelers and losing to them furthers the narrative. I imagine most of us don't hate Baltimore anywhere near as much as we all hate Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis admittedly grew up a diehard Steelers fan Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is a repeat, but worth posting for those who have not seen this yet

Well, if the Steelers beat the Bengals this weekend, a full 1/3 of their victories so far will have come against the hapless Bengals. Has anything changed at all?

And the first game against them this season was a complete pulverization.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 09:44 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, if the Steelers beat the Bengals this weekend, a full 1/3 of their victories so far will have come against the hapless Bengals. Has anything changed at all?

And the first game against them this season was a complete pulverization.

This game will be a lot closer.

I figure we will lose due to a late Burfict personal foul pushing us out of FG range. Ninja
Reply/Quote
Usually QB play dictated the Steelers and Bengals series
Under Lewis.
My favorite Bengals Steelers game under Lewis
Was when they went to Heinz Field and Palmer hit
TJ on that 46 yarder to open the game and Simmons and Thurman
Were making plays all over.
Then Fanene who played Like 40 snaps all year sacked Ben in the 4th q.
Reply/Quote
That 05 game is on youtube.
Talk about a franchise night and day.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 11:50 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Usually QB play dictated the Steelers and Bengals series
Under Lewis.
My favorite Bengals Steelers game under Lewis
Was when they went to Heinz Field and Palmer hit
TJ on that 46 yarder to open the game and Simmons and Thurman
Were making plays all over.
Then Fanene who played Like 40 snaps all year sacked Ben in the 4th q.

Are you sure you aren't mixing a couple of games into one?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Nice post! I knew it was bad but this definitely shows that they were in the heads of the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 10:26 AM)jason Wrote: Are you sure you aren't mixing a couple of games into one?

It's the Bengals 2nd drive and Palmer threw a beautiful pass 
To.TJ who simply out muscled Colcaugh for the TD.
Then Rudy had 2 4th Q TD runs to forge them ahead 
Reply/Quote
Don't worry folks. The bengals might actually be almost good again someday.. In the meantime remember to breath on a regular basis, eat right and get plenty of rest and avoid alcohol if at all possible. And remember this..a drunk driving conviction on your part won't make this team one bit better.

and I'm pretty sure that Mike Brown is NOT immortal. He WILL eventually die along with all his demon seed..I would, however suggest that you burn any and all bengals memorabilia since he took over as owner just in case..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Bump for Steeler week
Reply/Quote

it absolutely defined logic...

He Had pretty good success vs the Ravens... But just couldnt get it done Vs Pitt...
Reply/Quote