Poll: Who do you take if they were both in the same draft year?
Joe Burrow
Trevor Lawrence
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence
(12-29-2019, 11:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: As a prospect, Burrow is better than Mayfield, worse than Lawrence, but he's the best QB in this draft by a mile. Since we can't "save" our #1OA pick in 2020 for 2021 (and we don't have a strategy for QB in any way heading into 2020), asking if we'd rather have Lawrence is just...a pointless question. Just as pointless as comparing him to Peyton Manning or even Mayfield. We can't select those players, so whether he's better than them or not is immaterial to the decision the Bengals need to make.

The question is: Is Joe Burrow worth the #1OA pick in 2020.

As for the risk of having the first pick next year...I doubt it will happen, but even if it does, context is important. Did Burrow play? How did he look? What was the reason we lost so many games? Did Burrow look like he had a weak arm? Or was the cast around him the problem? If we're bad enough to get the #1 overall pick in two straight years, I don't even think having both Burrow and Lawrence on the team and battling is a bad idea. Gives you insurance if one or the other busts.

We can approach that problem if it comes up, but that is not the case right now and is, therefore, immaterial as well.

Let's say we think the way you do and pass on Burrow. We now have Andy Dalton on a 1 year deal and Ryan Finley. Dalton shows "Good Andy" in 3 or 4 games and we get the #2 or #3 pick.

Now we don't have Lawrence or Burrow and we're absolutely ****** heading into the 2021 season.

All because we were looking the gift horse in the mouth.

I am trying to take your questions in good faith, but I'm struggling with it.

So I have to ask again.

What is the point of this thread?

Again he point is knowing how Burrow stacks up compared to other QBs.  People always want the best QB, which is a mistake as the right QB is usually the better option.  However if we want the best and we have 2 QBs right now that are coming into the league, Burrow this year and Lawrence next year, then it is prudent to look at who is the better prospect and take that one.

I disagree that we miss out on Lawrence from the perspective of competent management, but we both know that we don't have that and in reality you are right, we would miss out on Lawrence.

You have answered that Lawrence is the better QB...

That is the point of the thread.  Quit looking for angles.  There isn't any.

Now the way to go about Lawrence from a competent management standpoint.  This year we take Thomas and work on solidifying that OLine.  Even if great Andy shows up and we have the 32nd pick in the draft we can trade up (even if it by a lot) to draft Lawrence next year.  It depends one where we are exactly but again I use the extremes to show the possibility.  We trade Dalton (after Tagging him) and our 1st round pick and the following year's 2nd round that could be a conditional 1st, to the team that has the 1st pick.  If that team doesn't want/need Dalton then trade 2 1st round picks and a 3rd that could be conditional to 2nd.

This way, you have an OLine and a QB for the future.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - CJD - 12-29-2019, 10:34 AM
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - CJD - 12-29-2019, 11:05 AM
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - OswaldsLegacy - 12-29-2019, 11:30 AM
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - CJD - 12-30-2019, 12:57 AM
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - Jpoore - 01-15-2020, 01:29 PM
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - Au165 - 01-15-2020, 01:37 PM
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - CJD - 01-15-2020, 02:27 PM
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - CJD - 01-15-2020, 03:01 PM
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - Synric - 12-29-2019, 11:17 AM
RE: Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence - jj22 - 12-29-2019, 01:34 PM