Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report - Zac Taylor has already been in contact with the Burrow family.
(01-11-2020, 11:26 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not a Joe Burrow fanatic, but maybe this is why Nebraska has been irrelevant for 25 years or so... The guy transfers out of a top 3 recruiting class, and Nebraska doesn't want him?
I wish I could tell you, but I can't.

But it wasn't just Nebraska, most schools didn't highly recruit him. According, to Burrow he had one single offer after his Junior season.

I'll be honest I saw him play against Florida this year, and from that moment I said to myself this kid is going to be our QB if we continue to lose.

So, I've been on the Joe Burrow train since then.

Like coming out of high school most places had him as a 3 to 4 star recruit, so I decided to look at some of his high school tape.

I was blown away. So I looked up his stats, they blew me away. You realize that from the moment that he was first moved to QB that this man has two seasons under 70 percent completion as a starter?

His sophomore year in high school and his junior year at LSU. Going all the way to grade school this man was completing 70 percent of his passes.

Here are his numbers:

Sophomore: 202 of 325 for 3239 yards, 62.2 completion percentage, 10 yards an attempt, 47 TD's and 8 interceptions.

Junior: 218 of 306 for 3732 yards, 71.2 completion percentage, 12.2 yards per attempt, 47 TD's and 7 interceptions.

Senior: 250 of 346 for 4445 yards, 72.3 completion percentage, 12.8 yards per attempt, 63 TD's and 2 interceptions.

These aren’t just good numbers. These are normally elite, your automatically a 5 star recruit, numbers.

History indicates two things: First, is that most high level offenses, at any level, almost always have QBs with high (> 63%) completion percentages in today's game. 

Second, high school completion percentages of most QBs are within 2-3 percentage points of their completion percentage in college.

While Burrow didn't start any games at Ohio State, he did throw 39 passes in mop-up duty, I know you have to take that for what it is, at Ohio State and he completed 74.4 percent of those passes with a QB rating of 153.1.

So statically speaking that is what history says his completion percentage should of been in.

So at that point I'm stumped, so I started looking at his athleticism. Maybe they thought he was slow and weak.

Well, he ran fairly good in high school, as he ran for 642, 589 and 836 yards respectively. It is reported he can ran in the 4.7's. Which puts him in the same category, 40 yard dash wise, as Aaron Rodgers.

His numbers weren't just a product of a bunch of dump-offs, as he averaged nearly 13 yards per attempt his senior year. This is someone who is throwing the ball down the field and throwing it down the field a lot.

So, again I was stumped.

Why was Tua Tagovailoa one of the 5 highest graded QBS coming out of high school in the last decade and not Burrow? I couldn't tell you.

He was 187 of 298 for 2932 yards, 62.8 completion percentage, 24 TD's and 7 interceptions his last year according to MaxPreps. It was harder for me to find his high school stats and multiple reports listed slightly altered stats.

He had 481 yards rushing, ran a confirmed 4.9 out of high school. Has since improved it to 4.76 and 4.81 at Alabama, pre injury.

Truth be told, I can't tell you why people didn't believe in Joe Burrow being elite.

But I can almost guarantee you, that if you go to ESPN, FOX Sports, ect your going to see people say that Burrow isn't good enough or was just some one year product of elite out of nowhere coaching.

Or you can go to YouTube and listen to people say only the Bengals are capable of ruining Joe Burrow.

People that ignore the fact that Burrow only had 2 weeks to work with LSU's offense before the start of his JR season and that his wr's were one of the worst ranked units in all of college his JR year for dropped passes.

Or people that don't like him because he can't throw 85 yards off his knees like Jamarcus Russell.

I tell can you this, it wasn't just Nebraska that said very bluntly to Joe Burrow that he simply "wasn't good enough to be a quarterback."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report - Zac Taylor has already been in contact with the Burrow family. - TheBengalsMind - 01-12-2020, 05:12 AM