Poll: What would YOU do if YOU were Joe Burrow ?
sign with the Bengals if they Draft you & plan on a full career as a Bengal
let it be known that you will never play for the Bengals before the Draft
play out Bengal rookie contract & franchise tags but not sign longer term if Bengals stay bad
demand the right to Draft O-line help yourself at will or you won’t play for the Bengals
sign with the Bengals if they Draft you & stay long term if Money is right even if team is bad
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would YOU do if YOU were Joe Burrow ? - Poll
(01-15-2020, 02:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: No team would agree to this.  Not one.

The premise is somewhat silly and insinuates they don't draft OL, although 3 of their last 5 1st round picks are OL.

Then, quite obviously, if you aren't performing up to expectations and the team wanted to draft a QB to groom behind you, there's nothing to stop you from saying "We're drafting Joe Whoknowz, G, Idaho Poly Tech" to block it.

Since you would have to have this in writing, you are also basically untradable, as well, since no other FO would agree to that nonsense.

You are also setting yourself up to be in an adversarial relationship with the men charged with protecting you. If a guy gets the feeling you're going to try and draft his replacement, he may just decide you need a career ending injury.  Not to mention all the coaches and FO people this would piss off.

The other huge issue is OL take time to develop.  You are very lucky if you get a rookie that can step in and even be decent.  Case in point,. Bobby Hart had a 57 PFF grade last year.  The 4 T's taken after Jonah Williams had an average PFF grade of 58, with the highest grade being 63.  Fred Johnson actually graded out better than 3 of them. You have to roster guys  and develop them over seasons. Drafting to try and immediately plug holes on your OL is generally not that effective anymore.  The last thing you need is a QB panic drafting guys over top of other guys and squeezing players who could develop into quality starters off the roster.

I get that the premise is somewhat silly and highly unlikely to ever happen but I am cigar smoking Joe Burrow.

Not so sure that I would want to follow up my College success with the Bengals Organization and I live in Cincinnati.

Suggesting this could be my way out Pre-Draft and onto another Organization (that I would not put the same demand on) while at the same time shining a light on just how ineffective the Bengals Mike Brown Front Office has ultimately been.

The Bengals have invested high Draft picks into the O-line in recent years but have not been very good at getting solid results on the field.

The point would not be to instantly have rookies stepping in but to have a better Pipeline of talent coming in over time and for me to have a chance to prevent having the Bengals ignore a problem that may need solved along the O-line. Instead of me being Powerless.

Hopefully, it would be rare for me to ever step in and make a pick.

I say this all partly in jest & partly to highlight how the Bengal Front Office may deserve to have a Joe Burrow say that he does not want to come here -or- would only come here "if"...

There would be negative side effects to doing this as you suggest, relationships with players, Front Office people etc could get strained especially if my picks were not panning out.

But I am cigar smoking Joe Burrow right now (instead of just Depthchart) so I would not mind putting the squeeze on Mike Brown in this fictitious scenario.

Dealing with any negative consequences from this Dream Scenario would be an upgrade from my regular Depthchart real world, so let me just roll with this silly, unlikely, DREAM scenario. Mellow
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would YOU do if YOU were Joe Burrow ? - Poll - depthchart - 01-15-2020, 03:10 PM